Image via Pexels
Our hands take a beating. No matter what profession you are in, whether it’s mechanics, academics, or child-care, your hands will take the brunt of your everyday life. While there are plenty of skin care products out there to protect and repair damage and age on the face, there needs to be a focus on our most utilized feature: our hands. We’re looking for the best anti aging hand cream to help repair and soothe the hands that do so much.
Anti Aging Hand Cream
Image via Pexels
There’s a lot to ask of an anti aging hand cream. We need something soothing, safe for sensitive skin, that can repair damage as well as protect from future damage, and there’s a myriad of preferences and needs in between those as well. It’s a high bar set out for this type of product, and there are a few things to keep in mind as you go through this comparison that will help you find the anti aging hand cream that works best for you.
1. What Is Anti Aging Hand Cream?
To combat the higher exposure levels our hands get to things like the sun, harsh winter weather, and general contact with harsh things, an anti aging hand cream needs to have a few things in it to really help us out. Beyond needing vitamins to repair, you’ll find occlusives (things like mineral oils, paraffin and the like), humectants (honey or glycerin is a popular one), and emollients (typically a type of alcohol – this is the factor that will help your skin look younger).
That may all sound more technical than it’s worth, but it’s important to know you have the right combination, as humectants by themselves will dry your skin out, and emollients need humectants to not do the same. There is a balance needed in a good anti aging hand cream.
2. Are Your Hands Damaged?
If you have sun spots, dark spots, or chronically dry or cracked hands, you’ll need a more reparative cream. Vitamin B5 is notorious for repairing skin so this would be a good ingredient to look for, as well as lactic acid as it can help prevent future damage.
3. Are You More Concerned with the Anti Aging Properties?
There’s absolutely no shame in it if the anti aging abilities are what you’re really after. You’ll want to make sure the cream has retinol or vitamin C, A, and E. Collagen will also help this process which vitamins and retinol both stimulate.
How We Reviewed
In order to provide a straightforward and simple comparison, we are using the following criteria against more popular hand creams: features, price, quality ingredients, effectiveness, value, and nutrients. Not only will these criteria highlight the unique features of each cream, but they will also answer the above questions and help you find the best anti aging hand cream for your particular skin.
Overall Price Range
Image via Pexels
While it is definitely possible to pay upwards of $100 or more for anti aging hand cream, we’ve narrowed our price bracket to between $10 and $30. To keep up with the ever-changing prices on the market, we’ve simplified the prices of each hand cream with abbreviations: to $10 is $; to $20 is $$; to $30 is $$$ – with a little wiggle room on either end.
What We Reviewed
Aveeno Positively Ageless Skin Strengthening Hand Cream
- 2.7-ounce tube of hand cream
- Restores and strengthens dry, fragile skin
- Fortifying southernwood extract helps fortify the skin’s moisture barrier
- Clinically shown to deeply moisturize for 24 hours
- Dermatologist-recommended brand
This hand cream is best suited for those trying to prevent dry and cracked hands. As the name suggests, it is a strengthening blend, so those who already have extremely dry or cracked hands will not feel the benefits. It does have a light, gender-neutral scent, so those who are sensitive to scent should try a small amount first to avoid an allergic reaction.
Where to Buy
Glycerin, shea butter, various alcohols, and petrolatum tick the boxes for the three needed combinations. This cream also includes Southernwood plant extract to help fortify and repair. As a side note, there is mushroom extract, so, if you’re allergic, you may want to skip this one.
It is effective in less than 24 hours and lasts for that long as well. Users have noticed a difference after one use and have continued to notice improvement after constant use.
Not only is this hand cream budget friendly, but it’s also easily found at most drug stores. It’s definitely worth a try if you don’t have any issues yet but will (preparing for the winter months comes to mind).
Shea butter and the Southernwood plant are the two main nutrients in this hand cream. There is no mention of vitamins, unfortunately, so those looking for the extra reparative features of vitamins A, C, B, and E won’t find a big dose here.
Dermalogica Multivitamin Hand and Nail Treatment
This cream is for dry and rough hands. It includes ingredients to fortify against age as well as roughness, while also evening out skin tone (so dark spots be warned). It is lightweight with a very light fragrance as well.
Where to Buy
Retinol, glycerin, and vitamin C are prominent ingredients featured here to help with anti aging. Vitamin B5 and E, along with grape seed, algae extract, and ginkgo biloba, aid in softening the skin and promoting health in the skin and nails.
There are mixed reviews in terms of effectiveness. Some users claim it is too greasy to be effective, while others claim that they have seen results. Given the ingredients, we would gather that this is effective for more mild cases of dry hands and aging.
The price on this cream has definitely changed over the years. Now, it is fairly inexpensive and worth the money to try if you’re not having extreme issues with dryness.
Vitamins C, B5, and E are needed nutrients that this cream provides – mainly for anti aging and softening purposes, though they will aid in strengthening the skin against future damage.
Image via Amazon
AHAVA Dead Sea Dermud Intensive Moisturizers
- Aloe vera extract softens and smoothes very dry and sensitive skin
- Jojoba seed oil locks and seals in moisture
- Paraben free
As the name may suggest, this is meant to be a heavy hitter in terms of hand cream. It is designed for extremely dry and cracked hands to help moisturize and repair the damage. It is approved for sensitive skin as well, and there is little fragrance too.
Where to Buy
Dead sea mud, vitamins, and jojoba seed oil are the main components in this cream. It is the Osmoter from the dead sea mud that will bring out moisture, while the jojoba seed oil locks it in, and Allantoin softens the skin.
Most users have become fans of this cream. It leaves your hands moisturized for long periods of time and really helps with extremely dry, cracked, and aging skin. While it’s no miracle worker, users have definitely noticed a difference.
This is on the top end of the price bracket we made, and while still not soaring in the $50s or $100s, this is a little bit more of an investment. Given the reviews and the ingredients, we think it’s worth a try for very dry hands more than for its anti aging properties.
There are various vitamins to help soften the skin, however, they are not detailed out and are the only nutrients listed. While we do appreciate how safe it is for those with skin sensitivities, adding vitamins would aid in longer lasting results without hurting those with allergies.
Image via Amazon
SALCOLL COLLAGEN Anti-Aging Moisturizing Hand Cream
- HIGHLY POTENT NATURAL COLLAGEN – Unlike any other no-crack hand cream out there, Salcoll Collagen Hand Cream contains highly potent natural collagen that’s just about perfect for your hands. Most creams are loaded with chemicals that cause negative impact on your skin in the long run. The marine collagen present in Salcoll Collagen Hand Cream makes it an effective solution for your wrinkled skin. With the supply of proteins and elastin from collagen, your skin becomes more supple and youthful.
- PERFECT FORMULA – People who require hard, manual labor and those who come in contact with chemicals, like working in factories and laundry service, share the common risk of premature aging skin. This hand cream brings to you a formula that we’ve perfected over decades – Natural collagen helps in long-lasting moisturization, all the while helping in healing cracks & broken skin. And if you have any type of external wounds like small cuts, Salcoll Collagen Hand Cream can help you recover fast.
- ACTIVE SKIN REGENERATION – From harsh weather to daily household chores that result to coarse and dry skin, many factors can leave your hands dry & chapped. The natural collagen contained in Salcoll Collagen Working Hand Cream, helps in hand skin regeneration to restore your hand's natural skin health. This collagen hand cream is designed to penetrate deep into your skin. It can repair and restore your damaged tissues by supplying essential proteins and make sure your hands are soft to touch.
- FOR SMOOTH & SUPPLE HANDS – Pay your hands the same attention you would to your face. Your hands take part in all the rough activities. What's worse is, these chores demand you to wash your hands frequently with soaps, sanitizers, or use hand lotions which normally contain harsh chemicals. This anti-aging hand cream from Salcoll Collagen is the best way to reward your hard-working hands with smooth & supple skin. Apply the wonderful Salcoll Collagen Working Hand Cream and let it do its magic.
- NON-GREASY HYPOALLERGENIC: Salcoll Collagen Hand Cream is hypoallergenic & bears a perfect consistency that leaves no oily or greasy mess behind after application. Hence, the cream is fit to use on any skin type including even the most sensitive skin. Be among the many to avail the multiple benefits of Salcoll Collagen Hand Cream. Your skin will instantly feel crisp and smooth after application. You can have the soft and beautiful hands you've always wanted which people admire and want to touch.
The focus of this hand cream is restoring and boosting collagen in your hand for younger looking and more protected skin. It boasts anti-itch properties as well as a lightweight, non-greasy formula that will last.
Where to Buy
While there are a variety of alcohols as well as glycerin and natural collagen, we find the rest of the ingredients a little lacking if it’s to live up to its name. This cream may help in reducing wrinkles, but the ingredients don’t speak much in terms of protection.
As we mentioned above, in terms of long-term protection, there is not much to mention. However, many users have reported that it did make their hands softer and helped with wrinkles.
This is a more expensive cream. If aid in wrinkle reduction is your priority, this may be worth the money, however, for extremely dry or cracked hands, we wouldn’t recommend this option.
Collagen remains as the main nutrient for this hand cream, so there’s not a lot to mention in terms of vitamins or needed nutrients for your skin – though how much this weighs in your decision depends on what is important to have from a hand cream.
Image via Amazon
Supergoop! Forever Young Hand Cream
- Reduces inflammaging
- Boosts skin’s natural ability to produce collagen
- Reduces hyperpigmentation
This hand cream is the first on the list to offer SPF protection so those out in the sun won’t need an additional sunscreen layer too. The cream is lightweight and absorbs quickly with natural ingredients and a natural, very light fragrance.
Where to Buy
Sea buckthorn fruit extract, meadowfoam seed oil, and argan oil make up a majority of this cream’s ingredients, along with omega-7 fatty acids and vitamin E.
While this hand cream is great at protecting from the sun, many users have commented that it is not very moisturizing. If this is a casual use type of cream, you’ll likely be fine, but if you have issues with dry, cracked, or aging skin, you may not find what you’re looking for here.
We thought it important to note here that the $ tag is only for a small tube. A normal sized cream bottle would be tagged at the top of our range ($$$), so in terms of value, we feel that you’re not getting a lot for what you’re paying for here.
The omega-7 fatty acids and vitamin E remain as the biggest nutrients you’ll get from this hand cream – although the other ingredients are not harmful either, just not what we’re looking for.
Miracle Hand Repair Cream
- THIS POWERFUL HEALING HAND CREAM REPAIRS, MOISTURIZES, PROTECTS, REJUVENATES, RESTORES dry, red, rough, cracked, flaking, damaged hands fast!
- EXCLUSIVE ULTRAALOE PROCESSED GEL harvested from organically grown mature aloe leaves. Combined with other special healing ingredients leave skin feeling soft & smooth
- NON-GREASY, LIGHTLY SCENTED, ABSORBS QUICKLY!
- ALSO GREAT FOR KNEES AND ELBOWS! 100% guaranteed!
- HUNDREDS OF FIVE STAR REVIEWS both men and women say it’s the best hand cream they’ve ever used!
This cream focuses on repairing damaged and dry hands using aloe. It is non-greasy, lightweight, and absorbs quickly to act fast. There are stronger chemical ingredients and fragrances though so those with sensitive skin may want to test this cream first.
Where to Buy
There is 60% aloe in this cream, as well as a combination of alcohol, mineral oils, and acids to help heal dry skin. There is not a heavy focus on anti aging though, so use this more as a damage buffer.
As far as dryness goes, this works fairly well. Even though it is advertised as lightweight and fast-absorbing, it is a little greasy and does need time to settle; so, if you’re washing your hands often or trying to use this a few times a day as prescribed you may not see any results.
This option is definitely on the less expensive end of the spectrum and will help dry hands – though we wouldn’t recommend it for the anti aging properties alone as they are little.
Aloe carries its own nutrients that are helpful to dry and damaged skin (and sunburns, lest we forget those), and the mineral oils are useful as well for dry skin and adding a little protection to the skin as well.
Image via Pexels
While we can’t tell you which option is the best anti aging hand cream for you and your hands, we are happy to give suggestions if you still want a little guidance on what to try.
If dryness is more your issue and you are trying to prevent aged hands, we would recommend Ahava for the extreme cases, Dermalogica, and Aveeno. All three of these did well and offered the needed ingredients to give better results.
If anti aging is your priority, then check out Salcoll or Dermalogica. As you may have guessed, Dermalogica would be our choice for all-around use (both anti aging and dry skin).