Regular green tea is made by infusing the leaves of the plant in hot water before they get discarded. On the other hand, matcha green tea is different. It’s made from the actual leaves finely ground into a powder. Matcha doesn’t just involve special processing of the leaves. The plant is also grown with shade cloths to trigger leaf growth with improved texture and flavor. Each leaf is hand-selected before a brief processing phase.
Matcha is always made from the highest-quality tea. Because you consume the entire leaf, it also offers a more potent level of key nutrients than regular tea. There are many health benefits of matcha green tea ranging from its ability to boost memory to its powerful antioxidants. Here are some of the most important benefits you can enjoy.
#1. Matcha May Fight Liver Damage
Your liver works to flush toxins out of your body, process nutrients, and break down medication. It appears that regularly drinking matcha may help your liver work more efficiently while reducing the risk of liver damage.
In one study, diabetic rats were given matcha supplements for sixteen weeks. This study found matcha helped stop liver and kidney damage. A similar protective benefit was seen in people with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. An analysis of 15 studies also determined that people who drink green tea have a lower risk of liver disease.
#2. Matcha Is a Rich Source of Antioxidants
One of the most important benefits of matcha green tea is its source of antioxidants that is richer than regular green tea. These components help neutralize free radicals in the body that can cause cell damage. Catechins are the most abundant antioxidant in matcha. According to one study, matcha has a level of catechins up to 137 times higher than other forms of green tea.
Researchers have found that mice who consume matcha supplements have better antioxidant activity and lower damage from free radicals. The most potent of these catechins, EGCG, may even combat the negative effects of eating a Western diet by reducing insulin resistance, obesity, and memory impairment, according to one important study.
- 100% USDA Organic Matcha Green Tea Powder - Pure Shade-Grown Green Tea Leaves - All Natural, Nothing Added (naturally gluten free and vegan)
- Authentic Japanese Origin - sourced directly from organic farms in Uji and Kagoshima, Japan, allowing us to provide much better quality at better pricing
- Create Amazing Matcha Recipes - Culinary Grade Matcha is an affordable way to add a delicious, healthy boost to lattes, smoothies, baked goods, and other dishes
- Healthy Superfood - matcha is rich in antioxidants, helps boost metabolism, great source of natural energy and mental clarity
- Love It or Your Money Back - if you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase for any reason, just email us and we'll make it right
- ANTI-INFLAMMATION ALL-STARS: The finest antioxidant-rich matcha green tea mixed with inflammation-fighting turmeric & pepper to create a flavor combination sure to impress.
- INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED: Bigelow tea always come individually wrapped in foil pouches for peak flavor, freshness and aroma to enjoy everywhere you go! Gluten -free, calorie-free, & Kosher Parve, USDA Organic & Non- GMO Project Verified.
- TRY EVERY FLAVOR: There's a tea for morning, noon & night time relaxation. Try our English Breakfast, Vanilla Chai, antioxidant Green Tea, decaffeinated, organic teas & a variety of our herbal tea bags.
- AMERICAN MADE TEA: In 1945 Ruth Bigelow created our first tea, Constant Comment, a flavorful black tea blended with aromatic orange peel & warming spices. Today, Bigelow is still family owned and American made.
- UNCOMPROMISED QUALITY: Since 1945, Bigelow tea has been a leader in premium tea & proud to be a Certified B Corporation - meeting the highest verified standards of social & environmental performance, transparency & accountability.
- Lipton Magnificent Matcha blends green tea with matcha in convenient tea bags.
- Magnificent Matcha combines the smooth, earthy taste of pure Japanese Matcha with the goodness of green tea.
- Enjoy this caffeinated green tea matcha for a moment of calm with zero calories.
- For the best brew in just 2 minutes, add the tea bag to the cup first, then add water so the green tea and matcha can unleash their flavor.
- Each box contains 15 tea bags of calming green tea matcha.
#3. Matcha Can Lower the Risk of Heart Disease
It’s estimated that heart disease is responsible for 1 out of every 3 deaths in people over 35. Genetics, diet, exercise, and lifestyle can all contribute to the risk of heart disease. A number of studies have found that the benefits of matcha green tea can include some protection against heart disease. The components in green tea work to reduce high cholesterol, an important risk factor for heart disease.
According to researchers, regular green tea consumption can reduce total cholesterol, triglycerides, and bad LDL cholesterol levels. Green tea can also stop oxidation of bad cholesterol. These actions are likely responsible for green tea’s long association with a lower risk of stroke and heart disease.
In one major study of more than 40,000 people, participants drank at least 5 cups of green tea every day. They ended up with 16% lower risk of death and 26% lower risk of death from stroke or heart disease than people who did not drink green tea.
#4. Matcha Can Boost Weight Loss Efforts
Green tea extract is a popular and effective weight loss supplement that has been found to boost metabolism to increase your body’s energy expenditure and burn fat faster. According to one study, taking green tea during moderate-level exercise can boost fat burning by about 17%.
A second study found green tea increases energy expenditure for a full 24 hours. An important review of 11 clinical studies confirmed that green tea could help maintain weight loss and reduce overall body weight.
While these studies focused on traditional green tea, the benefits are attributed to the caffeine and catechins in green tea. Matcha naturally contains much higher levels of EGCG and caffeine than regular tea. Matcha can be an effective way to boost the effects of exercise and diet when you’re trying to lose weight.
#5. It May Boost Cognitive Function
Several studies show that matcha’s antioxidants may support healthy cognitive function. In one study, people were asked to perform tests that measure cognitive performance. Study participants who ate or drank matcha had improvements in memory, reaction time, and attention at the end of the study. As one of the most studied benefits of matcha green tea, this perk can help you stay sharp as you get older.
It’s also important to remember that matcha contains more caffeine than regular green tea. Caffeine has been linked to cognitive performance in many studies. The L-theanine in matcha is believed to change the effect of caffeine on the brain to increase alertness and avoid energy crashes.
#6. Matcha Can Strengthen Your Immune System
There is good evidence that green tea — as well as other forms of tea — help boost your immune system. This means the benefits of matcha green tea can help you recover faster from colds. They also reduce symptoms of autoimmune disorders like allergies.
Researchers have found that green tea actually boosts the number of regulatory T cells in the body. These cells play a big role in your immune function and help suppress autoimmune disease.
There are already prescription drugs that have similar effects and are used to treat autoimmune disease. However, these drugs come with toxicity problems, unlike green tea.
#7. Matcha May Help Prevent Cancer
The high level of catechins in matcha may offer some protection against cancer. This is potentially one of the greatest benefits of matcha green tea. The most important catechin, EGCG, has been linked to cancer prevention in animal and clinical studies. Nonetheless, research still needs to determine how these antioxidants work in humans.
According to one study, a green tea extract slowed breast cancer growth and reduced tumor size in rats. Test tube studies, on the other hand, have shown that the EGCG in matcha can kill off skin, liver, lung, and prostate cancer. According to the National Cancer Institute, other catechins in green tea like EC, EGC, and ECG may also offer protection against cancer.
Have you ever tried matcha green tea? Did you notice any improvements in your health? Leave a comment letting us know your thoughts or any recipes you have for matcha!