As we age, it becomes harder to maintain our optimum health. Your diet can play a large part in your health and well-being, especially as you start to age. For those same reasons, there are a variety of foods you can add you to your diet to help fight against these effects of aging. Keep reading to find out all you need to know about some of the best anti-aging foods to help you feel (and look) younger.
You are not seeing things. As you get older, you need to start looking at water as food. As you get older, you may not feel as thirsty as you used to, but you require more hydration than most other people. The proper hydration can help fight against interior ailments like fatigue, headaches, and digestive-issues. Dehydration is also one of the leading causes of appearance-related effects of aging like wrinkles, age spots, sagging, and more.
How to use it: Start by trading in all your artificially-flavored drinks for water, since those types of drinks are especially unhealthy for seniors. You should be consuming at least 9-13 full cups of water each day. However, it is important to remember that you should drink more with any physical activity, illness, etc.
Fruits are healthy for a variety of reasons and they’re a great, natural, sweet snack. Blueberries in-particular, contain more antioxidants than pretty-much any other fruit. They help naturally-protect your skin from the effects of sun exposure and prevent wrinkles.
How to use it: You only need ½-cup blueberries to reap the benefits, but they’re healthy enough to be eaten all day long. Try having blueberries in your oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast, for a snack throughout the day, or in a parfait for a sweet dessert. Frozen blueberries are also a great, sweet, summer treat.
Nuts are some of the best anti-aging foods you can consume. They are full of omega-3s and “healthy fats,” as well as protein and fiber. Nuts are one of the most heart-healthy foods out there, which contributes to more than cardiovascular-health. Having a healthier heart as you age has been associated with good cognitive-function and a decrease-in-risk for cancer.
- Mix of peanuts, cashews, almonds, hazelnut and pecans
- Seasoned with pure sea salt
- 170 calories per serving
- Resealable canister
- Perfect for those keeping kosher
- DELUXE MIXED NUTS PLANTERS: Deluxe Mixed Nuts With Sea Salt combines premium quality nuts for a tasty snack. Snack on a crunchy mix of PLANTERS nuts—cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios and pecans
- PLANTERS NUTS: This 34 ounce resealable jar of PLANTERS Deluxe Mixed Nuts With Sea Salt contains about 34 - 1 ounce servings and features a resealable lid designed to lock in long-lasting freshness
- SALTED MIXED NUTS: Sea salt lends delicious flavor to these party nuts
- ROASTED MIXED NUTS: These mixed nuts are roasted in peanut oil for satisfying flavor and crunchy texture
- SNACKS: Mixed nuts with no peanuts have 170 calories per 1 ounce serving—they're energizing and delicious and great bulk snacks
How to use it: You should aim to have around 2-ounces of nuts in your diet each day. The healthiest nuts include almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, and walnuts. You can have them as part of your breakfast, in a salad at lunch, or by-the-handful as a snack.
Loaded with good fatty-acids that fight against inflammation, avocados help to keep your immune system in-check. When your immune system is functioning properly, your mind and body ages more gracefully. As one of the best anti-aging foods, they’re also loaded with omega-3s, antioxidants, and vitamins that help you better absorb healthy nutrients, maintain healthy arteries, and hydrate your skin.
How to use it: You can have as much avocado each day as you’d like, but shoot-for at least 1 cup of avocado, 3-5 times each week. It can used as a spread on toast/sandwiches, on top of salads, or even made into a healthy, chocolate pudding.
5. Dark Chocolate
Not all chocolate is created equal, and that’s important to remember. DARK chocolate happens to have flavanols, which aid in the natural protection against sun-damage and increase blood-flow to the skin. This helps improve the natural appearance of your skin. Dark chocolate can even help lower your glycemic index (in moderation).
- GOURMET CHOCOLATE: This 12-piece Godiva chocolate gift box features an exciting assortment of gourmet dark chocolate truffles crafted with classic Belgian fillings
- DELICIOUS FILLINGS: Sweet fruit, savory salted caramel, spiced ganache, and other delectable fillings sit beneath dark chocolate shells
- TIMELESS TASTE: Add sweetness to any special occasion from birthday parties to anniversaries to corporate gift swaps; This chocolate assortment is always a perfect choice
- ELEGANT GIFT BOX: Surprise someone special with this exquisite chocolate box, wrapped with a gold ribbon, or satiate your sweet tooth as you sample each assorted candy
- BELGIAN HERITAGE: Founded nearly 100 years ago, Godiva continues to adhere to a long-standing tradition of quality, Belgian craftsmanship using only the world’s finest ingredients
- Ghirardelli Intense Dark Chocolate Squares 86% Cacao Midnight Reverie – Luxuriously deep, full-bodied flavor accompanied by hints of dark cherries and dried plums
- Discover luxuriously deep and velvety dark chocolate with Ghirardelli Intense Dark
- Our range of high-cacao content Intense Dark chocolate delivers the most intense chocolate experience by creating exclusive bean blends with only the best ingredients
- Premium ingredients including sustainably-sourced cocoa beans are part of the Ghirardelli difference: our commitment to ultimate quality from Bean to Bar
- For more information about our ingredients and sustainable sourcing, visit ghirardelli.com/sustainability
How to use it: Dark chocolate is high in calories, so you’ll want to only have 1 serving of a dark chocolate with 70-90% cacao (in moderation). It can be eaten as a snack to cure to your sweet-tooth or substituted in cooking/baking as a healthier sweetener.
Carrots are known for their benefits to the hair, nails, and skin. They are loaded with an array of vitamins that help restore and regenerate the collagen in your body that becomes damaged over-time. This is necessary to the elasticity and regeneration of your skin cells. Carrots are one of the best anti-aging foods for helping you maintain and repair the youthfulness and health of your skin, nails, hair, and more.
How to use it: Carrots can be either cooked or eaten raw, and you won’t miss-out on the benefits either way. Add carrots into salads, casseroles, or even pastas. Eat them as a healthy snack or even as a juice/smoothie.
7. Fatty Fish
Fish can be extremely beneficial when you begin to age, since some types of fish are known as heart-healthy all-stars. They are one of the best anti-aging foods to eat to prevent stroke and heart disease, as well as strengthen the immune system. The omega-3 fatty-acids you’ll find in fish also improve blood circulation, lower cholesterol, and provide healthy protein.
How to use it: You should aim to have at least 2 servings of salmon, sardines, or mackerel each week. You can grill, bake, or sauté the fish, though you should try to limit sauces and oils you may use. Fish can also be added to salads or sandwiches.
8. Citrus Fruits
You’ve probably heard that having an “apple a day will keep the doctor away,” but you may want to trade that fruit in for a more sour, citrus fruit. Citrus fruits are some of the best anti-aging foods because they’re loaded with vitamin C, which is essential in keeping your skin brighter, younger, more-hydrated, and healthier. They boost your immunity and collagen, helping you feel younger for longer.
How to use it: Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, and limes can easily be juiced, but don’t drink/eat too much. These fruits are also high in natural-sugar, so you want to eat these in moderation. Try infusing your water with slices of these fruits or adding them to your breakfast meals.
Our list of the best anti-aging foods will help keep you healthy as you age, and maybe even reverse some of those effects-of-aging. Eating right and practicing healthy lifestyle choices can have you feeling like a younger, healthier you in no-time. As always, consult your physician or healthcare team before changing or adding anything new to your diet.
Last update on 2021-05-13 at 15:03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API