As we age, it becomes harder to maintain our optimum health. Your diet can play a large part in your health and well-being, especially as you start to age. For those same reasons, there are a variety of foods you can add you to your diet to help fight against these effects of aging. Keep reading to find out all you need to know about some of the best anti-aging foods to help you feel (and look) younger.
You are not seeing things. As you get older, you need to start looking at water as food. As you get older, you may not feel as thirsty as you used to, but you require more hydration than most other people. The proper hydration can help fight against interior ailments like fatigue, headaches, and digestive-issues. Dehydration is also one of the leading causes of appearance-related effects of aging like wrinkles, age spots, sagging, and more.
How to use it: Start by trading in all your artificially-flavored drinks for water, since those types of drinks are especially unhealthy for seniors. You should be consuming at least 9-13 full cups of water each day. However, it is important to remember that you should drink more with any physical activity, illness, etc.
Fruits are healthy for a variety of reasons and they’re a great, natural, sweet snack. Blueberries in-particular, contain more antioxidants than pretty-much any other fruit. They help naturally-protect your skin from the effects of sun exposure and prevent wrinkles.
How to use it: You only need ½-cup blueberries to reap the benefits, but they’re healthy enough to be eaten all day long. Try having blueberries in your oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast, for a snack throughout the day, or in a parfait for a sweet dessert. Frozen blueberries are also a great, sweet, summer treat.
Nuts are some of the best anti-aging foods you can consume. They are full of omega-3s and “healthy fats,” as well as protein and fiber. Nuts are one of the most heart-healthy foods out there, which contributes to more than cardiovascular-health. Having a healthier heart as you age has been associated with good cognitive-function and a decrease-in-risk for cancer.
- One 34 ounce jar of Planters Deluxe Mixed Nuts With Sea Salt
- Planters Deluxe Mixed Nuts With Sea Salt combine premium quality nuts for a tasty snack
- Airtight jar and a resealable lid keep the whole mixed nuts fresh
- Sea salt lends delicious flavor to the party nuts
- Roasted in peanut oil for satisfying crunchy texture
- One 56 ounce can of Planters Mixed Nuts
- Planters Mixed Nuts consist of peanuts, almonds, cashews, hazelnuts and pecan
- Roasted nuts are enhanced with sea salt
- Each canister of mixed nuts contains less than 50 percent peanuts by weight
- Resealable canister packs the freshness inside
How to use it: You should aim to have around 2-ounces of nuts in your diet each day. The healthiest nuts include almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, and walnuts. You can have them as part of your breakfast, in a salad at lunch, or by-the-handful as a snack.
Loaded with good fatty-acids that fight against inflammation, avocados help to keep your immune system in-check. When your immune system is functioning properly, your mind and body ages more gracefully. As one of the best anti-aging foods, they’re also loaded with omega-3s, antioxidants, and vitamins that help you better absorb healthy nutrients, maintain healthy arteries, and hydrate your skin.
How to use it: You can have as much avocado each day as you’d like, but shoot-for at least 1 cup of avocado, 3-5 times each week. It can used as a spread on toast/sandwiches, on top of salads, or even made into a healthy, chocolate pudding.
5. Dark Chocolate
Not all chocolate is created equal, and that’s important to remember. DARK chocolate happens to have flavanols, which aid in the natural protection against sun-damage and increase blood-flow to the skin. This helps improve the natural appearance of your skin. Dark chocolate can even help lower your glycemic index (in moderation).
- Contains 12 individually wrapped 90% cocoa dark chocolate bars, perfect for gifting, baking, or savoring piece by piece
- A full-bodied dark chocolate; masterfully crafted to be smooth and rich with profound cocoa flavor and surprisingly balanced taste
- Lindt chocolate is expertly crafted with the finest ingredients
- Stock up on these dark chocolate bars for the true dark chocolate connoisseur to share at the office, enjoy at a dinner party, or bake with at home; the perfect dark chocolate gift
- Made with premium ingredients from world-renowned regions; Great for holiday sharing and gifting
- Contains one (1) 43.07-ounce, 150-piece bag of DOVE PROMISES Dark Chocolate Candy
- Features dark chocolate DOVE PROMISES Candy
- Share DOVE Chocolate in Easter baskets, Christmas stockings, on baked goods or in candy dishes
- Each individually foil-wrapped chocolate has an inspiring message to brighten your day
- Made from the finest quality cacao for a silky smooth, deliciously rich chocolate experience
How to use it: Dark chocolate is high in calories, so you’ll want to only have 1 serving of a dark chocolate with 70-90% cacao (in moderation). It can be eaten as a snack to cure to your sweet-tooth or substituted in cooking/baking as a healthier sweetener.
Carrots are known for their benefits to the hair, nails, and skin. They are loaded with an array of vitamins that help restore and regenerate the collagen in your body that becomes damaged over-time. This is necessary to the elasticity and regeneration of your skin cells. Carrots are one of the best anti-aging foods for helping you maintain and repair the youthfulness and health of your skin, nails, hair, and more.
How to use it: Carrots can be either cooked or eaten raw, and you won’t miss-out on the benefits either way. Add carrots into salads, casseroles, or even pastas. Eat them as a healthy snack or even as a juice/smoothie.
7. Fatty Fish
Fish can be extremely beneficial when you begin to age, since some types of fish are known as heart-healthy all-stars. They are one of the best anti-aging foods to eat to prevent stroke and heart disease, as well as strengthen the immune system. The omega-3 fatty-acids you’ll find in fish also improve blood circulation, lower cholesterol, and provide healthy protein.
How to use it: You should aim to have at least 2 servings of salmon, sardines, or mackerel each week. You can grill, bake, or sauté the fish, though you should try to limit sauces and oils you may use. Fish can also be added to salads or sandwiches.
8. Citrus Fruits
You’ve probably heard that having an “apple a day will keep the doctor away,” but you may want to trade that fruit in for a more sour, citrus fruit. Citrus fruits are some of the best anti-aging foods because they’re loaded with vitamin C, which is essential in keeping your skin brighter, younger, more-hydrated, and healthier. They boost your immunity and collagen, helping you feel younger for longer.
How to use it: Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, and limes can easily be juiced, but don’t drink/eat too much. These fruits are also high in natural-sugar, so you want to eat these in moderation. Try infusing your water with slices of these fruits or adding them to your breakfast meals.
Our list of the best anti-aging foods will help keep you healthy as you age, and maybe even reverse some of those effects-of-aging. Eating right and practicing healthy lifestyle choices can have you feeling like a younger, healthier you in no-time. As always, consult your physician or healthcare team before changing or adding anything new to your diet.