As we age, it becomes harder to maintain our optimum health. Your diet can play a large part in your health and well-being, especially as you start to age. For those same reasons, there are a variety of foods you can add you to your diet to help fight against these effects of aging. Keep reading to find out all you need to know about some of the best anti-aging foods to help you feel (and look) younger.
You are not seeing things. As you get older, you need to start looking at water as food. As you get older, you may not feel as thirsty as you used to, but you require more hydration than most other people. The proper hydration can help fight against interior ailments like fatigue, headaches, and digestive-issues. Dehydration is also one of the leading causes of appearance-related effects of aging like wrinkles, age spots, sagging, and more.
How to use it: Start by trading in all your artificially-flavored drinks for water, since those types of drinks are especially unhealthy for seniors. You should be consuming at least 9-13 full cups of water each day. However, it is important to remember that you should drink more with any physical activity, illness, etc.
Fruits are healthy for a variety of reasons and they’re a great, natural, sweet snack. Blueberries in-particular, contain more antioxidants than pretty-much any other fruit. They help naturally-protect your skin from the effects of sun exposure and prevent wrinkles.
How to use it: You only need ½-cup blueberries to reap the benefits, but they’re healthy enough to be eaten all day long. Try having blueberries in your oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast, for a snack throughout the day, or in a parfait for a sweet dessert. Frozen blueberries are also a great, sweet, summer treat.
Nuts are some of the best anti-aging foods you can consume. They are full of omega-3s and “healthy fats,” as well as protein and fiber. Nuts are one of the most heart-healthy foods out there, which contributes to more than cardiovascular-health. Having a healthier heart as you age has been associated with good cognitive-function and a decrease-in-risk for cancer.
- LIGHTLY SALTED MIXED NUTS: PLANTERS Mixed Nuts, Lightly Salted, consists of peanuts, almonds, cashews, hazelnuts and pecans
- PLANTERS NUTS: This 56 ounce resealable jar of PLANTERS Mixed Nuts With Sea Salt contains about fifty-six 1 ounce servings and features a resealable lid designed to lock in long-lasting freshness
- SALTED MIXED NUTS: These roasted mixed nuts are enhanced with sea salt
- LESS THAN 50% PEANUTS: Each canister of mixed nuts contains less than 50 percent peanuts by weight
- NUTRIENT DENSE SNACKS: Every serving of PLANTERS Mixed Nuts, Lightly Salted, contains 6 grams of protein—they're energizing and delicious
- Mix of Cashews, Almonds, Pecans and Hazelnuts
- Seasoned with sea salt
- 170 calories per serving
- Perfect for those keeping kosher
- For over 100 years, people have trusted Planters to deliver freshness and superior quality
How to use it: You should aim to have around 2-ounces of nuts in your diet each day. The healthiest nuts include almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, and walnuts. You can have them as part of your breakfast, in a salad at lunch, or by-the-handful as a snack.
Loaded with good fatty-acids that fight against inflammation, avocados help to keep your immune system in-check. When your immune system is functioning properly, your mind and body ages more gracefully. As one of the best anti-aging foods, they’re also loaded with omega-3s, antioxidants, and vitamins that help you better absorb healthy nutrients, maintain healthy arteries, and hydrate your skin.
How to use it: You can have as much avocado each day as you’d like, but shoot-for at least 1 cup of avocado, 3-5 times each week. It can used as a spread on toast/sandwiches, on top of salads, or even made into a healthy, chocolate pudding.
5. Dark Chocolate
Not all chocolate is created equal, and that’s important to remember. DARK chocolate happens to have flavanols, which aid in the natural protection against sun-damage and increase blood-flow to the skin. This helps improve the natural appearance of your skin. Dark chocolate can even help lower your glycemic index (in moderation).
- Ghirardelli Intense Dark chocolates deliver luxuriously deep and velvety chocolate blended with sophisticated ingredients
- We hand-select the world's finest cocoa beans to create our proprietary bean blend and roast them to perfection, then we slow-blend in the purest ingredients to achieve our award-winning distinctively intense chcolate
- Made in USA
- During summer months, item ships with cooler packs to ensure chocolate arrives in perfect condition
- Dark Assorted Bag
- Indulge dark chocolate cravings any time with this Party Bag of KISSES SPECIAL DARK Mildly Sweet Chocolates
- Made with mildly sweet dark chocolate, each bar contains 45 percent cacao and is a source of antioxidants found in tea and certain fruits
- These pieces are perfect anytime snack, perfectly portable for lunch bags, the office stash, or as part of decadent baked treats
- KISSES SPECIAL DARK Mildly Sweet Chocolate is OU Certified as a Kosher dairy product and is manufactured on equipment that also processes almonds. Each 9 piece serving of KISSES SPECIAL DARK Mildly Sweet Chocolate is 190 calories
- One (1) pack containing 32.1 ounces of KISSES Special Dark Chocolates
How to use it: Dark chocolate is high in calories, so you’ll want to only have 1 serving of a dark chocolate with 70-90% cacao (in moderation). It can be eaten as a snack to cure to your sweet-tooth or substituted in cooking/baking as a healthier sweetener.
Carrots are known for their benefits to the hair, nails, and skin. They are loaded with an array of vitamins that help restore and regenerate the collagen in your body that becomes damaged over-time. This is necessary to the elasticity and regeneration of your skin cells. Carrots are one of the best anti-aging foods for helping you maintain and repair the youthfulness and health of your skin, nails, hair, and more.
How to use it: Carrots can be either cooked or eaten raw, and you won’t miss-out on the benefits either way. Add carrots into salads, casseroles, or even pastas. Eat them as a healthy snack or even as a juice/smoothie.
7. Fatty Fish
Fish can be extremely beneficial when you begin to age, since some types of fish are known as heart-healthy all-stars. They are one of the best anti-aging foods to eat to prevent stroke and heart disease, as well as strengthen the immune system. The omega-3 fatty-acids you’ll find in fish also improve blood circulation, lower cholesterol, and provide healthy protein.
How to use it: You should aim to have at least 2 servings of salmon, sardines, or mackerel each week. You can grill, bake, or sauté the fish, though you should try to limit sauces and oils you may use. Fish can also be added to salads or sandwiches.
8. Citrus Fruits
You’ve probably heard that having an “apple a day will keep the doctor away,” but you may want to trade that fruit in for a more sour, citrus fruit. Citrus fruits are some of the best anti-aging foods because they’re loaded with vitamin C, which is essential in keeping your skin brighter, younger, more-hydrated, and healthier. They boost your immunity and collagen, helping you feel younger for longer.
How to use it: Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, and limes can easily be juiced, but don’t drink/eat too much. These fruits are also high in natural-sugar, so you want to eat these in moderation. Try infusing your water with slices of these fruits or adding them to your breakfast meals.
Our list of the best anti-aging foods will help keep you healthy as you age, and maybe even reverse some of those effects-of-aging. Eating right and practicing healthy lifestyle choices can have you feeling like a younger, healthier you in no-time. As always, consult your physician or healthcare team before changing or adding anything new to your diet.