As you age, your skin can go through natural changes that could leave it looking less-youthful; with wrinkles, fine lines, bags, and more. And while a host of factors can contribute to the effects of aging, having perpetually-dry skin can worsen these symptoms or make them appear sooner than usual. We’ve compiled a list of anti-aging tips for dry skin, so you can maintain or regain a youthful, radiant appearance.
1. Keep Drinking Water
You are told from a young age that drinking water is very important and nothing could be truer. Drinking the proper amount of water is essential to your health in a variety of ways. It keeps most aspects of your health working at their best, including your mental and physical well-being. It should come as no surprise then that water has an effect on aging-symptoms.
If you are not completely hydrated, your already-dry skin will not have what it needs to regenerate and create new, healthy skin cells. The proper-amount of water will vary by person individual-need, but the general rule of thumb is as follows: around 13 cups for adult males and 9 cups for adult females.
2. Watch How You Wash
Of course, you need to stay clean and staying clean should be part of your daily, dry-skin regimen. But how you wash and what you wash with is extremely important when you have dry skin. Be careful not to over-wash your skin, as that can further dry your skin-out. In addition, you should always try to stay away from water that is too hot.
Stick with warm water, which will help prevent dryness. Stay away from harsh soaps and body washes that irritate your skin. In addition, never scrub your skin and try to wash with soft washcloths or loofas. Hard or scratchy fabrics will only irritate and dry-out your skin further. Preventing dry skin with these simple methods is one of the best anti-aging tips for dry skin.
3. Ditch the Fake Products
As stated above, what you put on your skin is extremely important. We all come in contact with a variety of products that interact with our skin. You’ll need to pay better-attention to products like laundry soaps and softeners, perfumes and colognes, lotions, deodorants, and even dish soaps. In addition, you’ll need to pay closer-attention to makeup and other facial products.
Products with additives, perfumes, and harsh chemicals will only further dry-out your skin. As your skin grows dryer, it increases your risk of wrinkles, fine lines, bags, and more. For one of best anti-aging tips for dry skin, simply reevaluate your household’s products. Try to find products without harsh chemicals or designed for sensitive-skin.
4. Focus on What You Put in Your Body
You may be surprised to know that one of the best anti-aging tips for dry skin is a proper diet. Your overall health has a great impact on your skin, so you need to provide your body with what it needs. Try to ensure you are taking vitamins and eating a proper diet. Reinforce what you put on your body with what you put in it. By eating enough protein, vegetables, and healthy fats, you’ll ensure your body gets what it needs to regenerate the skin, keep it naturally-moisturized, and prevent it from drying-out.
5. Protect Yourself from the Sun
The sun can have horrible effects on your skin and if you’re worried about the effects of aging, you should protect yourself as much as you can from it. This means taking breaks from being in direct-sunlight, limiting your time of exposure, and applying SPF-products. If you have plans of being outdoors, you should apply sunscreen products to any exposed skin and aim for an SPF of at least 35.
- 2 in 1 body lotion: Moisturizes dry skin while helping protect from sun exposure
- Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB protection helps defend against sunburn and the damaging effects of the sun
- Delivers 24 hour hydration
- Enriched with Sunflower Oil & ProVitamin B5
- Fast-absorbing, non-greasy, fragrance free and dye free
- 12-fluid ounce bottle of Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 15 Sunscreen, Soothing Oat & Rich Emollients
- This everyday body lotion moisturizes skin all day for dry skin relief while providing broad-spectrum sunscreen protection from aging UVA and burning UVB rays
- Its unique formula contains soothing oat and rich emollients to help replenish moisture and relieve dryness for soft, smooth, healthier-looking skin
- Clinically proven to moisturize skin, this fast-absorbing lotion features a non-greasy formula with no added fragrance and is suitable for daily use to nourish and protect skin
- From the dermatologist-recommended skincare brand for over 65 years, Aveeno uses the goodness of nature and the power of science to keep your skin looking healthy and feeling balanced.
- WEIGHTLESS MOISTURIZER: Enjoy lightweight, streak-free hydration with this Yuzu & Starfruit Herbal Moisturizer by Hempz! This is a fragranced daily body lotion that absorbs quickly to moisturize, condition, soften and protect skin.
- PROTECT YOUR SKIN: Our premium body lotion is designed to protect skin against the effects of harmful UVA/UVB rays and sun exposure with a Broad Spectrum SPF 30. This is a non-greasy sunscreen lotion, so you will be able to enjoy the summer sun.
- ENRICHED BODY LOTION: This nourishing body moisturizer with SPF has an exclusive formula of 100% Pure Hemp Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Coffee Cherry Extract, Vitamins A, B, C and E, and our signature Citrus Fruit Complex for beautiful, radiant skin.
- SAFE SKIN CARE: To ensure you use the best, safest products to keep your skin healthy, our daily herbal moisturizer is 100% Vegan, THC-Free, Paraben-Free, and Gluten-Free. It has a light, natural fragrance that will not irritate or dry out skin.
- PERFECT FOR EVERYONE: Men, women and kids can enjoy this safe, natural fruit-scented sunscreen and protect themselves against sunburn! Use it while hiking, picnicking and biking. If swimming or sweating, use with a water-resistant sunscreen.
For continued exposure, you should apply sunscreen every 2 hours or after you’ve been exposed to water. If you plan to be in water, be sure to put on a waterproof SPF product. In addition to drying your skin out, the sun can cause wrinkles, fine lines, and even cancer.
6. Stick to a Moisturizing Routine
One of the best anti-aging tips for dry skin is to stick to the proper routine. You should properly cleanse your face twice daily; once in the morning and once in the evening, before you go to bed. After washing and drying your face, be sure to apply a moisturizer. For the morning, choose a moisturizer that has SPF built-in, in addition to ingredients that work to lock-in moisture.
For the morning, choose a moisturizer with more focused-ingredients, as your skin naturally-regenerates as you sleep. When you apply these moisturizing-ingredients at-night, your skin is better at naturally absorbing them.
7. Sleep for Your Skin
Just like water, sleep is essential to your physical and mental well-being. When you do not get a restful night’s sleep or do not sleep enough, your skin will show it. The average adult should be getting at least 8 hours of sleep each night, though some people may need more as they age or if they are healing from infection/injury.
When you sleep and are rested, your skin has the ability to regenerate itself better and also retain moisture better. The key to maintaining dry skin is to keep in healthy moisture, so be sure you’re sleeping enough. In addition, you may try to switch the type of sheets or blankets you sleep on. Not only do higher-quality sheets help you feel more comfortable, but they are less likely to irritate your skin.
The anti-aging tips for dry skin you’ve seen here will help you keep moisture in and reduce the effects of aging. By focusing on the proper health, the best products, and a solid routine, you can help your dry skin feel and look better in no-time. You could also prolong the possible effects of aging with the proper preventative measure. Try following our anti-aging tips for dry skin and let us know: how you do keep your skin soft, supple, and radiant?