The best way to face the day is to have a good rest. Your health and well-being depend on a restful night, which can sometimes be elusive for those with chronic pain. Therefore, it’s essential to choose the best pillow for back pain. The right pillow will reduce pain and ensure you wake up feeling relaxed and refreshed. There are an enormous variety of options that exist today, and we’re ready to help you find the very best.
1. What Is the Best Pillow for Back Pain?
One of the most common questions that physical therapists receive is whether neck or back pain may be due to poor pillow choice. The answer is yes. We spend an average of eight hours in bed with our pillows every night. The best pillow for back pain can be your most trusted ally against poor sleep. It can prevent or relieve some neck and back pain, and it is worth investing in.
2. How Do I Choose the Best Pillow for Me?
Which pillow is the best for back pain is a personal choice. There are many models, designs, and materials to choose from. The first thing you should know is that the aim of a pillow is to keep the spine straight, filling in the neck’s curvature and allowing for relaxation. Most importantly, the best pillow for back pain should make you feel comfortable. No matter what advice you get, the ideal pillow is the one that is comfortable for you.
3. What Are the Different Types of Pillows?
There are many types of pillows, each with different designs that have specific objectives.
The long, narrow traditional pillow is the most common. We recommend it for any sleep position.
The butterfly pillow is narrow in the center, and it widens at the edges. It is the best pillow for those with low back pain.
A cervical pillow is an ergonomic option that has two convex areas and a concave area to adapt to the neck and head. In many cases of neck pain, the use of a Viscoelastic cervical pillow with memory foam can offer the necessary support.
Viscoelastic pillows are made from Viscoelastic foam, which easily conforms to an optimal shape that provides relief at the pressure points of the back. Viscoelastic foam is a material created by NASA to mitigate pressure on the bodies of astronauts at the moment of takeoff. It’s excellent for astronauts and those with back pain because of its soft foam, which is capable of absorbing impacts. When it absorbs the impact, it distributes weight evenly, which prevents pressure on sore spots.
Anatomical pillows are therapeutic and designed to improve pain. These pillows are also called ergonomic pillows, and they conform to your body’s shape. They are soft pillows that provide relief from upper and lower back pain.
A smart pillow is an innovative pillow that promises to improve sleep by measuring different parameters associated with rest. It feels just like a traditional pillow, but it embraces technology by using sensors that read movements. They also emit low-frequency waves, which can enhance sleep.
A lumbar pillow is used for sitting or lying down. Many office workers who sit in a chair for extended periods use lumbar pillows. Staying in the same position for a long time is harmful to the body and your inactive muscles. This can be prevented with the use of a lumbar pillow. Like the smart pillow, the lumbar pillow distributes weight evenly to reduce pain.
4. What Materials Are the Best Pillows for Back Pain Made of?
Some pillows are too soft and cannot support the weight of the shoulders and head. Others, however, are so firm that the neck and head are forced into uncomfortable and often downright painful postures. The best pillow for back pain should be soft and comfortable, but with the right amount of firmness. This is something that has a lot to do with the materials it’s made from. Most pillows are created with latex, memory foam, feathers, cotton, or Viscoelastic foam.
Synthetic fibers or feathers are pliable, so we recommend them for those who sleep on their stomach. For people who move around a lot at bedtime, latex and Viscoelastic are recommended, as they have a memory system and adapt to the person who uses them.
For those who have cervical or lumbar problems, it’s a good idea to try pillows with “smart” materials, which adapt to your body and sleep position to offer relief from pain and discomfort.
The best pillows for back pain are produced with anti-mite, anti-fungal, and antibacterial materials. Check to make sure you aren’t allergic to the pillow’s stuffing. There are several options to test, so don’t worry if you’re allergic to a certain material.
5. Does It Matter How I Sleep?
Another point to take into account when buying a pillow is the position in which you sleep.
If you sleep on your back, your pillow should be of medium thickness and firmness, allowing for a comfortable position for the natural curve of the neck. This means if someone were to look at you from the side of the bed, your head should follow horizontally with the mattress. If the pillow is too high or too low, you will wake up with pain and neck stiffness. If you sleep on your side, you want to make sure your head is aligned with the rest of your back. If someone were to look at you lying on the bed from the side, your ears should both be at the same distance from the shoulders. For this reason, you’ll want a thick pillow that is firm so that the head isn’t tilted.
Even though stomach sleeping isn’t recommended, many sleepers find this to be the most comfortable position. A soft and narrow pillow is the best choice for stomach sleepers, as it allows your head to turn in a natural and safe way.
If you sleep in a combination of positions, the right pillow will be of medium firmness and can adapt to the different positions throughout the night.
6. How Do I Care for My Pillow?
Hygiene is fundamental when taking care of your sleep health. We spend a lot of time lying in bed, and also breathing the air around it. To keep your pillows clean and hygienic, choose one with a breathable and washable cover. A hypoallergenic cover is recommended, and you should change the cover at least once a week. You should plan to purchase a new pillow about every five years due to the loss of firmness over time. If you sleep as a couple, each person should have their own pillow.
How We Reviewed
We’ve strategically gathered the information we needed to make sure we only included the very best pillows for back pain in this article. Our experts have consulted with sleep doctors and physical therapists and sifted through hundreds of verified pillow reviews. We are proud to say we have successfully narrowed our list down to the best of the best.
Overall Price Range
The pillows we’ve selected range in price from $ to $$. We’ve made sure to keep this list filled with affordable and budget-friendly options.
What We Reviewed
- Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- Fine Pillow | Sleeping Bed Pillows for Neck & Back Pain Relief
- Spring Bed Pillows—Newest, Breathable, Neck and Back Pain-Relieving Sleeping Pillow
- Sleep Innovations Cooling Memory Foam Contour Pillow With Microfiber Cover
- Cr Comfort & Relax Sleep Memory Foam Contour Pillow
- LANGRIA Knee Pillow Memory Foam Leg Pillows for Leg, Back, Hip Pain Relief
- Pillows for Sleeping, Hypoallergenic Bed Pillow for Side Sleeper
- Post Surgery Elevating Leg Rest Pillow With Memory Foam Top
- Classic Brands Cool Sleep Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Gusseted Pillow
- Cushy Form Knee Pillow for Side Sleepers
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- Shredded Style Combination Memory Foam Pillow That NEVER GOES FLAT! Our Kool-Flow Soft and Luxurious, Extra Breathable Micro-Vented Cover Made In The U.S.A. with 43% Viscose of Bamboo, 56.4 percent Polyester, .6 Percent Lycra KEEPS YOU COOL ALL NIGHT LONG! Fully Machine Washable.
- MADE IN USA CERTIFIED Bed Manufacturer Using Eco-Friendly Biogreen & Certipur-US Certified Foam.
- Now With Zipper Removable Outer Cover To Allow For Easy Adjustment of Thickness and Comfort. Conforming Shape Orthopedically Supports the Neck For Side, Stomach, & Back Sleepers.
- Hypoallergenic & Dust Mite Resistant. Rolled & Vacuum Sealed For Eco-Friendly Shipping. We use a combination of Biogreen and CertiPUR-US Certified foam tested and shown to be MADE WITHOUT ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead and other heavy metals, formaldehyde, without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Low in VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million).
- 120-NIGHT LOVE IT OR SEND IT BACK POLICY WITH NO COST RETURNS and CUSTOMIZATIONS when contacting the manufacturer direct. INDUSTRY LEADING 20-YEAR WARRANTY that your pillow will stand the test of time! (PLEASE NOTE THAT THE MANUFACTURER ONLY WARRANTIES PURCHASES MADE THROUGH AUTHORIZED SELLERS (see complete details for more information located on the middle of this page).
To begin our list of the best pillows for back pain, we have the Snuggle-Pedic. What we love about this luxury bamboo pillow is the zippered material for easy cleaning and keeping things hygienic. We also approve of the Kool-Flow technology, which makes sure this hypoallergenic pillow steers clear of sweat and moisture.
This pillow is made in the USA from 43% viscose of bamboo, 56.4% polyester, and .6% lycra.
Fine Pillow | Sleeping Bed Pillows for Neck & Back Pain Relief
- A HEALTHIER CHOICE. These bed pillows are for those with neck, back, and shoulder pain. These supportive neck pillows are also an excellent choice for those who fold their own pillows in half or flip their pillows many times a night.
- PAYS FOR ITSELF: Make an investment in these supportive back pillows and avoid going back through the search process to find a great pillow. You can wash, dry, and reuse these pillows to save money, rather than buying multiple pillows every few months.
- MORE FOR YOUR MONEY: It’s not just another hypoallergenic pillow, it is the best pillow for your sleeping position. It protects the neutral alignment of the spine, adapts to the neck curve, and fills in the space between the head and the mattress so you can have a better night’s sleep.
- A COMFORTABLE SLEEP: A breathable, beautiful, traditional standard pillow made with today’s technology to adapt to the shape of your head and shoulders so you can have a relaxed and peaceful sleep. When you wake up, you’re rested and energized.
- LOVE THE PILLOWS OR GET EVERY PENNY BACK: As a family-owned company, we stand behind our pillows. If these pillows are not comfortable enough, we will exchange or give your money back within 30 days of purchase. But, we want you to try it for 14 days before an exchange or return. SHIPPED in a box. No Vacuum. No Drying Before Use.
A roster of the best pillows for back pain must include pillows that promise to give sleepers a comfortable and supportive night’s rest. The Fine Pillow does just that. It offers a neutral alignment of the spine and neck curve adaptations to best support the body.
This pillow is made from a poly-fiber that feels fluffy with down-feel comfort.
Spring Bed Pillows—Newest, Breathable, Neck and Back Pain-Relieving Sleeping Pillow
- PERMANENTLY SOFT & HIGHLY RESILIENT -- A unique pillow with non-Flatten System is very soft, but very durable, too. After 50,000 pounding cycles, Pillow retains 91% of its volume and 94% of its softness.
- INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION & ACTIVE CONTOUR -- 40 Inner coils are wrapped separately and capable of individual movement. Any head is always perfectly cradled in any position. Move freely, for instance from your back to your side, always finding your spine properly aligned. (PATENT PENDING)
- HEAT & MOISTURE GONE -- The percale weave cover with 3D spacer mesh, and silky fibers offer exceptional cooling breath-ability. With every slight pressure of the head, warm air will flow out, taking away heat and moisture. And every time the pressure is released, fresh air will gently flow in.
- PERFECT FOR ALL – Take your form, sprung sleeping pillows will work with you no matter you are side, back, stomach or pregnant sleepers. Neck pain, back pain, spondylitis, arthritis, rheumatism, migraine, stress, asthma can be helped with our sleeping Pillows.
- OTHER INFORMATION -- 90-DAY, No Hassle REFUND GUARANTEE & FREE CUSTOMIZATION'S. 20-Year Warranty! Please care the pillows according the instructions. Pillow size: 26" x16.5".
A vital feature of the Spring Bed Pillow is its non-flatten system. It promises that even after 50,000 wash cycles, the pillow will be as fluffy as the day you bought it. This pillow is unique in that is has an inner coil system, so no matter how you sleep your spine and neck will always be properly aligned. This pillow is one of the best bargains on our best pillow for back pain list.
This pillow is made from 100% cotton.
Sleep Innovations Cooling Memory Foam Contour Pillow With Microfiber Cover
- BED PILLOW: This pillow for neck and shoulder pain provides therapeutic support so you wake up feeling refreshed, recharged and ready to take on the day.
- COOLING MEMORY FOAM: The therapeutic design of this cooling pillow adapts to your head, neck and shoulders to provide the enhanced support and gentle alignment you need.
- COMFORT & SUPPORT: Choose between the higher and lower contours for the support that feels best. The contour pillow design helps reduce pain and stiffness - a great back and side sleeper pillow.
- MADE IN THE USA: The foam for our bed pillows is proudly made in the USA and comes with a 5 year warranty.
This contour pillow is perfect for side and back sleepers. With its Microfiber cover, it remains the easiest pillow to care for on the list of best pillows for back pain. This pillow comes with a five-year warranty, making it a brilliant and durable purchase.
This pillow is made from Microfiber and memory foam.
Cr Comfort & Relax Sleep Memory Foam Contour Pillow
- BUY CR PILLOW GET A NICE SLEEP MASK for FREE! Pack of One Pillow
- PATENT DESIGN: Standard size - Measures 24" x 16" x 4.7"/3.5" (Higher end - 4.7 inches, lower end - 3.5 inches); OUTER COVER (65% polyester and 35% tencel) - Ultra Soft, Removable & Washable; INNER SIDE COVER - Premium jersey fabric for ventilation effect
- CONTOURED WAVE DESIGN - Medium firm feel, suits back, side and stomach sleepers, but the level of pillow loft varies from individual to individual due to personal sleep position, head size/weight, overall body size/weight, shoulder width (side sleep), etc
- HIGH QUALITY Gel-Infused AirCell Technology Memory Foam helps you reduce pain and stiffness, and ease Neck and Shoulder pain through all night
- SAFE & HEALTHY - Foam is CertiPUR-US certified for safety and performance. In case you experience an odor which is a "Fresh Foam" odor, it is not harmful. The odor should dissipate several days later after the pillow is unpacked and aired out
Our team was so excited to put the Cr Comfort & Relax pillow on the list of best pillows for back pain. The contoured wave design is a favorite among reviewers and sleep doctors. It’s made from their Gel-infused Air Cell Technology Memory Foam, which helps to reduce neck and shoulder pain and ease stiffness.
This pillow is made from a premium jersey fabric and Gel-infused Air Cell Technology Memory Foam that is CertiPUR-US certified for safety and performance.
LANGRIA Knee Pillow Memory Foam Leg Pillows for Leg, Back, Hip Pain Relief
- LANGRIA Leg Pillow
- LANGRIA Leg Pillow
- LANGRIA Leg Pillow
- LANGRIA Leg Pillow
- LANGRIA Leg Pillow
The LANGRIA Knee Pillow is a unique contender that we’ve added to the best pillow for back pain roster. This memory foam pillow goes between the knees for side-sleepers, helping to align the spine and ease lower back pain effectively.
This pillow is made from high-quality antibacterial memory foam materials with a soft plush cover.
Pillows for Sleeping, Hypoallergenic Bed Pillow for Side Sleeper
- AWARD WINNING---WIRECUTTER TOP PICK 3 YRS an independent review organization. -- MADE IN THE USA - FULLY ADJUSTABLE – IDEAL FOR ALL SLEEP POSITIONS. BACK, SIDE, STOMACH. The NEW inner zipper allows you to ADJUST THE PILLOW THICKNESS to make it a perfect fit for YOU. - Whether you like it fluffy, flat or in the middle, simply open the zipper & remove some fill to have it your way. - FALL ASLEEP FAST and SLEEP BETTER than you ever have before!
- OUR MEMORY FOAM PILLOWS USE ONLY CertiPUR-US CERTIFIED FOAM & MEET STRINGENT STANDARDS for content, emissions & durability. They are analyzed by independent, accredited testing labs. – SLEEP RESTFULLY knowing that our pillows for sleeping have NO ozone depleters, TCEP flame retardants, TDCPP, PBDEs, lead, mercury, and heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the CPSC, or CFCs – This assures you and your family are using a HEALTHY AND SAFE PRODUCT especially for those during pregnancy.
- ULTRA DELUXE PREMIUM QUALITY SHREDDED MEMORY FOAM will not become lumpy or go flat. It remains uniform in density, CONFORMING TO YOUR PERSONAL HEAD & NECK CONTOUR for a perfect nights sleep & returns to shape, night after night, – Because the foam is shredded, you can maneuver & mold your pillow so that it is comfortable for back stomach & side sleepers. – Promotes PROPER BACK, NECK & SPINE ALIGNMENT. Help BACK & NECK PAIN, TOSSING & TURNING, Insomnia, Migraines, Snoring and ORTHOPEDIC PROBLEMS.
- MICRO-VENTED KOOL-FLOW TECHNOLOGY BAMBOO COVER is soft as a cloud & provides superior air circulation and breathability while regulating temperature to KEEP THE PILLOW SURFACE COOL for the best sleep ever! No more sweaty faces - Experience extreme comfort with our memory foam pillow
- HYPOALLERGENIC – DUST MITE RESISTANT – MACHINE WASHABLE - Allergy sufferers no longer need to compromise comfort! Now you can have a memory foam pillow that is clean all the way through – YOU & YOUR FAMILY DESERVE THE BEST BED PILLOWS! – Our pillows are BUILT FOR COMFORT, SUPPORT & DURABILITY!
We’ve added this, the only adjustable pillow, to the list of best pillows for back pain. This bamboo memory foam pillow comes overstuffed so customers can remove as much foam as they need to for the perfect sleep. This pillow is ideal for the side sleeper who likes to stay cool at night. Rated number one by Wirecutter, this pillow is made with the highest, ultra-deluxe quality.
This pillow is made in the USA from memory foam and certified by CertiPure-US to ensure safety and durability.
Post Surgery Elevating Leg Rest Pillow With Memory Foam Top
- ACHING FEET? RELIEVE YOUR PAIN AT ONCE!: By keeping both legs elevated, this great memory foam layer support pillow can improve circulation, relieve back, hip, and knee pain, and help reduce the discomfort of swollen feet. It's a great way to improve your sleep quality at night, or have short, comfortable breaks from your routine and get some relief throughout the day!
- IMPROVE YOUR BLOOD CIRCULATION: The leg rest wedge pillow is a great way to help your feet remain healthy and prevent blood stagnation and varicose veins. What's more, in case you're on the mend from a foot or ankle injury, or post surgery a leg elevation pillow like this practically mandatory. Not only will it reduce the pain, it will also keep your body in the optimal position for a quick recovery!
- HIGH DENSITY MEMORY FOAM: When it comes to our leg rest pillows, we make a point of using nothing but the best polyurethane and memory foam available, as well as state-of-the-art production processes and strict quality control. That way, we can be sure they meet the high expectations of our customers - you!
- BREATHABLE & WASHABLE COVER: In addition to its comfortable memory foam top layer and PU foam composition, the bed leg support pillow has a soft and breathable cover. Not only does it help it maintain a comfortable temperature, it's also easily removable and machine washable!
- 100% RISK FREE PURCHASE: At Cushy Form, we have absolute faith in our ergonomic shape leg elevating pillows. After all, they're what we use ourselves! If, however, your new pillow doesn't meet your expectations, don't worry! Our products are covered by a 100% money back guarantee! IDEAL GIFT for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Prime Deal Day, Easter or Christmas
Our best pillow for back pain list wouldn’t be complete without this post-surgery elevating leg rest pillow by Cushy Form. This pillow is perfect for post-surgery if a doctor requires leg elevation. It’s also the best pillow for aching feet, knees, and back. It promises to improve circulation and reduce the discomfort of swollen feet, making it an excellent purchase for pregnant women.
This pillow is made from high-density memory foam.
Classic Brands Cool Sleep Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Gusseted Pillow
- Gusseted pillow has a 4.5 inch loft not too tall and not too short, perfect for side and back sleepers
- 16 inch L x 22 inch W x 4.5 inch H
- Cool gel infused memory foam is responsive, creating perfect support for your head, neck, and shoulders
- Cool pass performance knit cover is specifically designed to disperse body heat and wick away moisture for a more comfortable night's sleep
- Naturally hygienic and hypoallergenic, resistant to dust mites, mold, and bacteria, not only perfect for allergy sufferers but for those who care about their sleep surface
The Classic Brands Cool Sleep Ventilated pillow is the only pillow on the list that is gusseted. It’s the best pillow for back pain for side and back sleepers. The soft knit cover wicks away moisture, and the gel-infused memory foam supports the neck and spine comfortably.
This pillow is made from gel-infused memory foam and comes with a plush, removable cover that is machine washable.
Cushy Form Knee Pillow for Side Sleepers
- CONTOUR KNEE PILLOW - This contoured superior memory foam knee pillow with washable cover allows for a comfortable all night's sleep by elevating your upper knee while placed between your knees. The therapeutic side sleeper body positioner - encourages the correct posture. No more restless nights!
- SCIATICA PAIN RELIEF - Eases back, leg, knee, ankle and hip joint pain by providing proper spinal alignment and reducing pressure while sleeping. Just insert the bolster inbetween your knees and sleep on the side most comfortable for you. Customers report great comfort when using our premium knee pillow for sleeping on their side
- ESSENTIAL CUSHION - Improves circulation for side sleepers, use as knee spacer during pregnancy or post surgery recovery, assists with restless leg syndrome. Includes a free storage and travel bag! The Cushy Form knee pillow will feel softer in warm and firmer in cold temperatures. The pillow will also react to your body heat by yielding and softening throughout the night
- TRUSTED - Recommended by Physical Therapists, Doctors, Sports Trainers and Chiropractors. Can be used as an abductor pilow, and provides relief for hip bursitis and scoliosis. Cushy Form is 100% Visco-elastic memory foam
- GUARANTEE - We have a 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO CATCHES! If you're not thrilled with your purchase for any reason, just tell us and we'll refund 100% of your purchase price - anytime! IDEAL GIFT for Mother's Day, Labor Day Sale, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Prime Deal Day, Easter or Christmas
The Cushy Form Knee Pillow is Amazon’s choice for sleepers. It’s the best pillow for back pain, sciatica, and hip, back, and spine alignment. This pillow is recommended by doctors, sports trainers, and physical therapists. If you suffer from restless leg syndrome or hip bursitis, this is the best pillow on the market.
This pillow is made from 100% Viscoelastic memory foam and is hypoallergenic.
The Pillows for Sleeping, Hypoallergenic Bed Pillow for Side Sleeper is the clear winner when it comes to the best pillows for back pain. It fits the natural curve of your body, and it’s top of the line for supporting your head and neck to ensure superior comfort. Almost all customers who have reviewed this pillow have agreed that its ergonomic therapeutic design reduces neck and back pain. This pillow never hardens, and it maintains a constant firmness and a comfortable cushiness so you sleep peacefully throughout the night. When you sleep well, you’ll live a healthier life. When purchasing the best pillow for back pain, make sure you’re choosing one from this list so you’ll sleep comfortably wake up feeling refreshed and recharged every morning.
Featured Image Source: pixabay.com