Every where we look we are bombarded with advertisements for miracle skin treatments. Television has hour long infomercials that tout creams for wrinkles and age spots. You can’t open a magazine without seeing at least one miracle cream to make you look younger. With all these promises being made, do they work and which is the best. I will navigate the tricky world of non-prescription anti aging creams and tell you the best treatments available.
Anti-Aging cream ingredients
The following are some of the more popular ingredients to look for in over the counter anti aging creams. Their effectiveness is questionable but results are based on multiple and consistent applications.
1) Syn-Ake: tripeptide that mimics the venom of a Temple Viper. The product is being promoted as a cream with the benefits and results of botox. The results show a 52% decrease in wrinkle depth with multiple applications. There is much controversy surrounding this product and its ability to relax muscles by applying a cream to the skin. Are the results secondary to moisturizing effects of the cream or is this productive truly working to relax the muscles of the face and decrease wrinkles? The jury is out but this will continue to garner much attention.
2) Matrixyl: a peptide that stimulates collagen. As skin ages there is a reduction in collagen leading to thinning and wrinkles. Using matrixyl may increase the collagen and reduce the amount of wrinkles by up to 36% in some reports. This is a nice alternative to Retinol because it is nonirritating and has comparable results.
3) Matrixyl 3000: is a totally different peptide and works in different manner. It is a synthetic pentapeptide combination One peptide increase collagen while the other increases fibroblasts in the area, there by increasing the healing or repair of the skin. The results are thickening of the skin with increased elasticity and reduction in wrinkles. The results have been reported as very promising but hard scientific proof is lacking.
4) Retinol: Vitamin A, very common comes both in over the counter and prescription strengths. It has the effect of increasing cell turn over and increasing collagen production. The drawback is that many people find it very irritating to the skin and you must use sunscreen afterwards if going outdoors. The results in over the counter strengths are variable , but ther are many anecdotal reports of smoother skin with less wrinkles.
5) Skin Stem Cells: The cream has no live stem cells in it. It is impossible to incorporate live stem cells into a cream. These are peptides and enzymes or plant stem cells. The results are questionable and no better than other creams currently on the market. This is not to suggest that in the future stem cells maybe used in anti-aging for the skin but not currently.
6) Hyaluronic acid: Used in many creams and recommended to reduce wrinkles. We know that it is common in our skin when we are young , the results are questionable in reversing the aging process by replacing it as we age. It appears that it’s most significant benefit maybe in hydrating the skin making the skin fuller and seem to have less wrinkles.
Best Skin Care Advice
The best way to keep your youthful beauty, the best advice, is the simplest. Avoid damage to the skin that accelerates the aging process and wrinkles. Exposure to the sun is one of the fastest and most common ways to age prematurely. Application of sunscreen of at least SPF 15(UVA and UVB) is the easiest and most effective ways to decrease the damage to your skin. look for skin care products with sunscreen in it.
Avoid cigarette smoke this includes second hand smoke as well. Smoking damages the small blood vessels at the surface of the skin. This leads to thinning and those dreaded wrinkles.
Hydration (water) the majority of individuals are volume depleted . By increasing hydration the skin will have a fuller healthier look.
A well balanced diet that includes fruits and vegetable and supplementation of vitamins that can give your skin the nutrients needed to regenerate and have the full wrinkle free look we all strive for.
So before you plunk down lots of your hard earned money for miracle cures, try some of the recommendations above. Give it some time and use your sunscreen everyday, throw out the smokes, eat right and get some exercise. You will love the results.
See related articles.