Grains are a tricky food, since our bodies have a twisted relationship with them. Grains are often associated with carbs, but not all carbs are bad. Healthy grains, consumed in the right amounts, can provide fuel for your body, as well as help you lose weight.
So, how do you know which healthy grains to eat for weight loss? We’ve done the research and found a list of some of the best grains to start eating when you’re looking to lose weight. Take caution however, as you should always consult your physician before beginning any new lifestyle changes.
Though most people associate barley with simple soups and other foods of the like, this grain is actually loaded with a ton of health benefits. Barley is extremely fibrous and cuts your blood sugar response dramatically during certain times of the day. When your sugar is under-control and does not spike as much, your energy and hunger levels will be more balanced.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Cillian Murphy, Liam Cunningham, Padraic Delaney (Actors)
- Ken Loach (Director) - Paul Laverty (Writer) - Rebecca O'Brien (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Hailee Steinfeld, Thomas Mann, Sophie Tuner (Actors)
- Kyle Newman (Director) - John D'Arco (Writer) - Brett Ratner (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
How to use it: The key to using barley to help you lose weight is the time you eat it. You should eat barley for breakfast in the morning, since it can reduce your blood sugar response by 44 percent at lunch and 14 percent at dinner. Try barley cooked like oatmeal, with toppings like nuts and fruit.
2. Whole-Wheat or Whole-Grain Bread
Okay, there’s more than one grain found in bread, but switching your everyday bread to whole-wheat or whole-grain is a great way to lose weight. It is naturally low-fat, cholesterol free, and provide a ton of fiber, minerals, and vitamins. These types of bread help regulate functions in the body and made from healthy grains to eat for weight loss.
How to use it: Simply replace your sandwich or everyday bread with a whole-wheat or whole-grain option. You can find sandwich bread, buns, bagels, and more made with these grains, but be sure to pay attention to calories.
3. Rolled Oats
Rolled oats can include instant and old-fashioned varieties. They are an excellent tool for adding fiber to your diet, which can regulate your digestive system and add healthy protein. Protein helps restore your energy without the use of fatty, unhealthy calories. Oats can also reduce blood pressure and your risk of heart disease.
How to use it: Instant oatmeal is simply cut-up, old-fashioned oatmeal that is designed to cook faster. Old-fashioned oats take roughly 5 minutes to cook. You can add milk or water to cook oatmeal, and have it for breakfast for a healthy, weight-loss boost. Try adding fruit for a sweet, healthy topping.
Millet is an Asian grain that has risen in popularity in recent years. This is because the grain is gluten-free but contains the same amount of protein as wheat. It can be used to fill your appetite faster than unhealthy carbs and fats. Millet is also rich in calcium, iron, and vitamin B, which provides you with a well-rounded diet.
No products found.
How to use it: You can use this grain in a variety of ways, and you only need to consume 1-ounce to reap its full benefits. It can be used as a meat-substitute in burgers, baked into desserts like cookies or muffins, or used as a substitute for oatmeal.
5. Brown Rice
Rice is often associated with carbs and weight-gain, but rice can be one of the best healthy grains to eat for weight loss. Plain, brown rice contains a good dose of fiber and minerals, with virtually no salt. It contains resistant starch, a healthy carb that helps burn fat by boosting your metabolism. It is heavy, but filling, without being high in calories.
- 5 Pound Brown Rice
- This Product Description Is Informational Only.
- Always Check The Actual Product Label In Your Possession For The Most Accurate Ingredient Information Before Use.
- 15 Pound Package
- California medium grain rice
- A great choice for everyday consumption
- All natural
- Raised in California
How to use it: Use brown rice as an alternative to white rice, pasta, or other starch. It can fill your belly in the same way, without any of the negative effects. Brown rice can be used in dishes or eaten by itself, and it’s versatile enough to be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Packed with antioxidants and all nine of the essential amino acids, quinoa is an extremely popular option for healthy grains to eat for weight loss. It is rich in protein, which helps fight hunger throughout the day and it has very-low calories. It can help you attain all the healthy nutrients you need, while also helping you to avoid overeating at other meals.
- Brought to you by Whole Foods Market. The packaging for this product has a fresh new look. During this transition, you may get the original packaging or the new packaging in your order, but the product and quality is staying exactly the same. Enjoy!
- 45g Whole Grains Per Serving
- Organic White Quinoa Is A Naturally Low Fat Food
- Organic White Quinoa Is A Naturally Sodium Free Food
- NUTRIENT BLEND: Quinoa may be a small seed, but it is full of nutrients that can help men and women of all ages live a better life. In every serving of our organic powder, you’ll find many nutrients, including fiber, protein, and iron, making it a great bonus to any meal at home or on the go.
- SIMPLY ORGANIC: Our Organic Quinoa is USDA organic certified, gluten-free, non-GMO, and kosher, making it a great addition to your pantry, no matter your dietary restrictions. Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, or following another strict food regiment, you can easily incorporate this nutritious tricolor grain medley into your diet.
- COMPLETE PLANT PROTEIN: BetterBody Foods quinoa mix includes white, red, and black quinoa grains that provide nutrients that are great for your body. Each serving contains 6g of organic complete protein and 3g of fiber. Grown in South America, our quinoa also has iron, fiber, and all 9 essential amino acids.
- RICE REPLACEMENT: The fiber and protein found in quinoa have been known to help curb cravings and satisfy hunger, making it a great replacement for white or brown rice in any meal. Add this nutty, nutritious rice substitute to your pantry for a new staple food that both kids and adults are sure to enjoy.
- HOW TO COOK: Before cooking your multicolor quinoa, rinse it with water. Once it has been rinsed, combine 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water in a medium pot and bring to a boil. After it begins to boil, cover the pot and reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes until the water is absorbed. It can also be cooked in rice cooker or instapot!
How to use it: Quinoa is extremely versatile and can be served hot or cold, and found in white, red, and black varieties. To cook quinoa, boil 1-part dried quinoa to 2-parts water. After it is cooked, it can be used as a hot cereal, as a rice-substitute, or added into salads.
7. Steel-Cut Oats
These types of oats are a little different than the other oats on the list of healthy grains to eat for weight loss. Steel-cut oats are cut, but not rolled. They create a longer response-time of certain enzymes in your digestive tract, which results in slower-release of glucose. Controlling glucose is a sure-fire way to keep weight under control.
How to use it: Steel-cut oats take about 30 minutes to cook. You can soak them in water the night before to reduce cooking times. They can be used as an alternative to oatmeal and used in granola. Start your day off with a bowl of steel-cut oats and fruit to curb your appetite throughout the day.
Granola is rich in a variety of nutrients, is fibrous, and can contain very-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. It can include a variety of healthy grains to eat for weight loss and helps regulate your digestion. It helps the body feel hungry faster, so it reduces your appetite and prevents the release of a hormone that makes your body hungry.
- (2) THE ORIGINAL GOLD SWEETENER - Enjoy the aroma, sweetness, flavor, and texture of brown sugar with zero calories per serving
- ALL-NATURAL - Made of erythritol, stevia, malt extract, and tagatose. Non-GMO with no artificial flavors, additives, or preservatives
- DIABETIC FRIENDLY - Less than 1 GI and no effect on blood sugar. Gold is well-suited for low carb and Keto diets
- MEASURES JUST LIKE SUGAR - Substitute regular or brown sugar 1:1. Perfect in tea, coffee, and sauces
- GUILT-FREE COOKING AND BAKING - Retains delicious flavor at high temps and even caramelizes like brown sugar without the "cooling" after-taste
How to use it: Granola can be tricky, because most store-bought options are loaded with sugar and other unhealthy ingredients. For the best results, granola should be homemade. You can try this easy recipe to make a quick and easy granola snack.
The healthy grains to eat for weight loss on this list can have you controlling your diet and curbing your appetite. Through the proper diet and lifestyle changes, you can start beginning a new path to a happier and healthier you. As always, consult your physician before beginning any weight-loss regimens.
Last update on 2021-01-25 at 11:43 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API