Grains are a tricky food, since our bodies have a twisted relationship with them. Grains are often associated with carbs, but not all carbs are bad. Healthy grains, consumed in the right amounts, can provide fuel for your body, as well as help you lose weight.
So, how do you know which healthy grains to eat for weight loss? We’ve done the research and found a list of some of the best grains to start eating when you’re looking to lose weight. Take caution however, as you should always consult your physician before beginning any new lifestyle changes.
Though most people associate barley with simple soups and other foods of the like, this grain is actually loaded with a ton of health benefits. Barley is extremely fibrous and cuts your blood sugar response dramatically during certain times of the day. When your sugar is under-control and does not spike as much, your energy and hunger levels will be more balanced.
- Gefen Pearl Barley 16oz, Value 3pk
- Adds a nice additional flavor and texture to many soups. Quick soak directions on package
- Packed in convenient easy to store bags
- Certified Kosher, All natural and Rich in fiber and other vitamins.
- Premium Quality, perfect dog food filler.
- No Artificial Flavors, Preservatives
How to use it: The key to using barley to help you lose weight is the time you eat it. You should eat barley for breakfast in the morning, since it can reduce your blood sugar response by 44 percent at lunch and 14 percent at dinner. Try barley cooked like oatmeal, with toppings like nuts and fruit.
2. Whole-Wheat or Whole-Grain Bread
Okay, there’s more than one grain found in bread, but switching your everyday bread to whole-wheat or whole-grain is a great way to lose weight. It is naturally low-fat, cholesterol free, and provide a ton of fiber, minerals, and vitamins. These types of bread help regulate functions in the body and made from healthy grains to eat for weight loss.
How to use it: Simply replace your sandwich or everyday bread with a whole-wheat or whole-grain option. You can find sandwich bread, buns, bagels, and more made with these grains, but be sure to pay attention to calories.
3. Rolled Oats
Rolled oats can include instant and old-fashioned varieties. They are an excellent tool for adding fiber to your diet, which can regulate your digestive system and add healthy protein. Protein helps restore your energy without the use of fatty, unhealthy calories. Oats can also reduce blood pressure and your risk of heart disease.
How to use it: Instant oatmeal is simply cut-up, old-fashioned oatmeal that is designed to cook faster. Old-fashioned oats take roughly 5 minutes to cook. You can add milk or water to cook oatmeal, and have it for breakfast for a healthy, weight-loss boost. Try adding fruit for a sweet, healthy topping.
Millet is an Asian grain that has risen in popularity in recent years. This is because the grain is gluten-free but contains the same amount of protein as wheat. It can be used to fill your appetite faster than unhealthy carbs and fats. Millet is also rich in calcium, iron, and vitamin B, which provides you with a well-rounded diet.
- Packaged & Shipped on dedicated Top 12 Allergen Free equipment in Rhode Island by our Specialy trained staff. Country of Origin: USA.
- Gerbs Allergen Declaration: Product is FREE from the following: Gluten, Wheat, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Soy, Eggs, Milk/Dairy, Fish, Crustacean, Mustard and Sesame.
- Gerbs All-Natural Pledge = No Trans-fats, No chemicals, No preservatives, Non-GMO, & Nothing artificial Ever! The way mother nature intended our foods to be, our ingredient list is always very basic without added shelf life stabalizers ie chemicals!
- High in Fiber, Antioxidants, Omega Fats, and loaded with Protein. Low Carb's. Naturally Heart Healthy & Cholesterol Free. Essential piece to any healthy life style! Featured Ingredient on Dr. Oz.
- Gerbs Amazon Categories: Seeds, Dark Chocolates, Dried Fruits, Granola, Trail - Salad Mixes, Fruit Medley's, Seed Meals, Grains, Flours, Rice, Oats, Crackers/Pretzels, Coffee.
How to use it: You can use this grain in a variety of ways, and you only need to consume 1-ounce to reap its full benefits. It can be used as a meat-substitute in burgers, baked into desserts like cookies or muffins, or used as a substitute for oatmeal.
5. Brown Rice
Rice is often associated with carbs and weight-gain, but rice can be one of the best healthy grains to eat for weight loss. Plain, brown rice contains a good dose of fiber and minerals, with virtually no salt. It contains resistant starch, a healthy carb that helps burn fat by boosting your metabolism. It is heavy, but filling, without being high in calories.
- 15 Pound Package
- California medium grain rice
- A great choice for everyday consumption
- All natural
- Raised in California
- Short grain brown rice is one of the most full-flavored rices and is an excellent source of whole grain.
- The ideal rice for recipes that desire a creamy texture, such as soups, puddings, rice balls, croquettes, paella or risotto
- After cooking, the rice tends to cling together for an amazing result
- Certified gluten free
- Certified vegan and kosher
How to use it: Use brown rice as an alternative to white rice, pasta, or other starch. It can fill your belly in the same way, without any of the negative effects. Brown rice can be used in dishes or eaten by itself, and it’s versatile enough to be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Packed with antioxidants and all nine of the essential amino acids, quinoa is an extremely popular option for healthy grains to eat for weight loss. It is rich in protein, which helps fight hunger throughout the day and it has very-low calories. It can help you attain all the healthy nutrients you need, while also helping you to avoid overeating at other meals.
- LARGER AND SOFTER GRAINS WITH NUTTIER FLAVOR - Unlike Chilean or Peruvian quinoa, our grains are harvested from the Bolivian Altiplano, where royal quinoa grows in harsh growing conditions, ideal for optimal flavor and texture. The end result? Noticeably larger, rounder and heartier grains that lend a delicate softness and incredible mouthfeel once prepared.
- SATISFY HUNGER TO FEEL FULLER LONGER - Contrary to rice and millet, our quinoa provides a hefty amount of fiber (3g) and protein (6g) per individual serving, helping to satisfy hunger and curb food cravings all day long!
- BUILDING BLOCK FOR PROTEIN SYNTHESIS - As a complete vegetarian protein, our quinoa provides a complete range of essential and non-essential amino acids, helping to maintain lean muscle mass and support enzyme production for everyday health.
- ENRICH MODERN DAY RECIPES - Our quinoa replaces rice at equal ratios and is even suitable for rice cookers! Add a unique twist to stir-fry, sushi and Mexican rice recipes for added nutrition and a naturally nutty flavor in every spoonful. Certified organic and non-GMO, our quinoa is sustainably sourced in accordance with fair trade practices.
- DE-SAPONIZED FOR ENHANCED FLAVOR - Free of pesticides and harsh chemical processing, our quinoa is mechanically de-saponized and triple washed to remove quinoa's bitter exterior. Our customers rave about our quinoa! "This package was easy to prepare. I just gave it a quick rinse and popped it into my rice cooker. It came out great and I couldn't taste any bitterness." Great for pilaf!
- Certified Organic and Easy to Prepare! Quinoa is a fiber-rich grain crop that is grown for its edible seeds. This protein-packed grain is as versatile as rice and tastes delicious on its own or in a variety of cooking recipes. Simply rinse, boil in water, and indulge!
- Endless Cooking Possibilities! Quinoa can be eaten on its own as a side dish, with a drizzle of olive oil, and other seasonings. Paired with stir-fries, beans or curries, quinoa is a healthy substitute for rice, couscous and pasta.
- Nutrients You Want! Our white quinoa is naturally gluten-free and it is loaded with rich nutrients, such as iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and fiber. It is also a perfect plant based source of protein as it contains all nine essential amino acids!
- Right from the source: Our Quinoa is hand harvested from small sustainable farmers to provide a truly exquisite grain to your front door
- Customer Satisfaction Promise: Get a full refund or replacement within 30 days if you are not completely satisfied
How to use it: Quinoa is extremely versatile and can be served hot or cold, and found in white, red, and black varieties. To cook quinoa, boil 1-part dried quinoa to 2-parts water. After it is cooked, it can be used as a hot cereal, as a rice-substitute, or added into salads.
7. Steel-Cut Oats
These types of oats are a little different than the other oats on the list of healthy grains to eat for weight loss. Steel-cut oats are cut, but not rolled. They create a longer response-time of certain enzymes in your digestive tract, which results in slower-release of glucose. Controlling glucose is a sure-fire way to keep weight under control.
How to use it: Steel-cut oats take about 30 minutes to cook. You can soak them in water the night before to reduce cooking times. They can be used as an alternative to oatmeal and used in granola. Start your day off with a bowl of steel-cut oats and fruit to curb your appetite throughout the day.
Granola is rich in a variety of nutrients, is fibrous, and can contain very-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. It can include a variety of healthy grains to eat for weight loss and helps regulate your digestion. It helps the body feel hungry faster, so it reduces your appetite and prevents the release of a hormone that makes your body hungry.
- THE ORIGINAL GOLD SWEETENER - Enjoy the aroma, sweetness, flavor, and texture of brown sugar with zero calories per serving
- ALL-NATURAL - Made of erythritol, stevia, malt extract, and tagatose. Non-GMO with no artificial flavors, additives, or preservatives
- DIABETIC FRIENDLY - Less than 1 GI and no effect on blood sugar. Gold is well-suited for low carb and Keto diets
- MEASURES JUST LIKE SUGAR - Substitute regular or brown sugar 1:1. Perfect in tea, coffee, and sauces
- GUILT-FREE COOKING AND BAKING - Retains delicious flavor at high temps and even caramelizes like brown sugar without the "cooling" after-taste
How to use it: Granola can be tricky, because most store-bought options are loaded with sugar and other unhealthy ingredients. For the best results, granola should be homemade. You can try this easy recipe to make a quick and easy granola snack.
The healthy grains to eat for weight loss on this list can have you controlling your diet and curbing your appetite. Through the proper diet and lifestyle changes, you can start beginning a new path to a happier and healthier you. As always, consult your physician before beginning any weight-loss regimens.