Products and diets designed to help you lose weight are a dime a dozen. However, many prove to be ineffective, or they cause nasty side effects. Hibiscus tea is more than just a refreshing drink. It gives those fancy weight-loss methods a run for their money without the discomfort and deprivation.
Hibiscus tea benefits for weight loss have been well-known for generations. Scientific research now backs these claims as well. Of course, hibiscus tea isn’t a definitive solution for weight loss, but it can support your efforts. Talk to your doctor about ways to include hibiscus tea in your wellness routine.
10 Most Important Hibiscus Tea Benefits for Weight Loss
1. Hydrates without the Added Calories
Since unsweetened hibiscus tea is calorie-free and caffeine free, it can hydrate you without increasing your waistline. Replace your soft drinks and juices with hibiscus tea instead of drinking your calories. The average serving of juice contains 136 calories, which is more than you’ll find in a serving of soda and almost as many calories as you’d get from eating a candy bar!
A study in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology tested the effects of hibiscus on mice fattened with MSG. Hibiscus extract led to decreased body weight and increased liquid intake in healthy and obese mice.
2. Feel Fuller and Energized
Drink plenty of liquids to keep yourself from reaching for snacks. Your brain may easily mistake hunger with thirst. Fill up on drinks first. Only go for a healthy snack if you still feel the need to nosh after your cup of tea.
Often, when we feel tired, we’re tempted to reach for sugary and carbohydrate-rich foods. We may feel better while we’re eating as processed foods flood our bodies with sugar. Unfortunately, the crash soon follows. The zingy and refreshing qualities of a cup of hibiscus tea give you a nice pick-me-up without the let-down.
- HIBISCUS TEA BAGS - 100 Tea Bags filled with premium hibiscus from Egypt.
- ORGANIC HIBISCUS TEA - The tea is filled into tea bags and packed into foil-lined kraft bags in California
- 100 ECO-CONSCIOUS TEA BAGS - Our premium tea bags are constructed of Abacá Hemp Fiber Paper. They are free of dyes, adhesive, glue and chlorine bleach. No staples, strings, bags or extra waste - just delicious tea!
- CERTIFIED USDA ORGANIC - All our products are certified USDA Organic by California Certified Organic Farmers (CCOF), a leader in organic certification. Look for the USDA Organic seal on our products!
- LOVE IT OR WE BUY IT - We don't think you should pay for products that you don't love. If you aren't enjoying our Organic Hibiscus Tea, simply let us know and we will refund your order - it's as easy as that!
- Supports the cardiovascular system*
- Non-GMO verified. All Ingredients Certified Organic. Kosher. Caffeine Free.
- Consistently high quality herbs from ethical trading partnerships.
- Taste: Tart, tangy and fruity.
- Case of six boxes, each box containing 16 sealed tea bags (96 total tea bags)
- HIBISCUS - Hibiscuses are shrubs and small trees that produce beautiful, colorful trumpet-shaped flowers. Native to warm climates, they are just one of several species in the Malvaceae family. The plant has virtually no fragrance (some offer a minimal scent). Some common names include wax mallow, mazapan, Turk's cap mallow, and sleeping hibiscus.
- A VERSATILE INGREDIENT - Hibiscus cut and sifted flowers are caffeine-free, making them ideal for herbal tea blends. Or mix them with green tea for a soothing, refreshing flavor and aroma. They are tart and colorful, which makes them a nice addition to any cuisine. Hibiscus cut and sifted flowers have also been used in cosmetics and as a dye.
- FLAVORFUL AND ROBUST - When the cut and sifted flowers are dried out and soaked in hot water, they deliver a tart flavor with a hint of cranberry-like flavor. Hibiscus flowers enhance the taste of green and black teas with their flavor. Mix them with peppermint, linden leaves or spearmint to add robust, intense flavor to beverages.
- ORGANIC FROM BURKINA FASO/EGYPT - Frontier Co-op Hibiscus Flowers are hand-picked and sun-dried, and then cut and sifted to provide a flavorful blend for many drinks and foods. Our hibiscus has zero additives and zero chemicals. It is kosher certified, organic certified, and non-irradiated.
- ABOUT US - Owned by stores and organizations that buy and sell our products, Frontier Co-op has been a member-owned cooperative since 1976. We support natural-living and our products are never irradiated or treated with ETO. We're committed to the health and welfare of the environment and everyone producing and consuming our botanical products.
3. Keeps Your Body from Turning Starch into Sugar
Your body has to convert your food into sugars in order to use it. Hibiscus tea prevents your body from producing amylase. This is a digestive enzyme responsible for converting food into sugar.
Among the many hibiscus tea benefits for weight loss, this tea will also minimize your carbohydrate absorption. Taking in fewer carbs can help you in your battle against extra pounds.
4. It’s a Natural Diuretic
When we carry around extra water weight, it not only adds pounds. It also makes us feel bloated. Hibiscus tea stimulates the urinary system naturally to eliminate excess water from the body. As a diuretic, it also acts as a gentle detoxifying agent by encouraging your system to flush itself.
5. Lowers Your Stress Levels
Drinking a warm cup of hibiscus tea can offer a much-needed break from an otherwise stressful day. The act of drinking a warm cup of tea isn’t the only means by which hibiscus tea reduces stress, though.
Cortisol, a stress hormone released when your fight or flight response is activated, can cause weight gain. An abundance of cortisol fatty tissue develops around your abdomen. This is the worst place to carry excess weight because the fat surrounds your organs. The antioxidants in hibiscus tea naturally reduce cortisol levels in your body.
6. Boosts Your Metabolism
Your metabolism dictates how quickly your body burns what you ingest. Faster metabolism leads to slimmer waistlines. Of the hibiscus tea benefits for weight loss, this one is most likely to contribute directly to gradual weight loss over the long term.
7. Reduces Inflammation
Hibiscus tea is loaded with antioxidants that fight inflammation. Inflammation is the root of many illnesses. Cancer, digestive disorders, liver disease, and diabetes are different types of inflammation. When your body is subjected to prolonged periods of inflammation, it has a negative impact on the way your body releases insulin.
Poor insulin regulation causes glucose problems which make you gain weight. As you gain weight, you subject your body to more inflammation, which compounds the negative effect.
8. Lowers Cholesterol
Having too much LDL (“bad”) cholesterol can lead to increased risk of heart disease and stroke. Being overweight contributes to higher levels of bad cholesterol in your system. Hibiscus tea not only helps you lose weight, but it also lowers LDL cholesterol levels.
A 2010 study found that hibiscus extract lowered cholesterol and blood pressure. The study confirmed that hibiscus was also an effective treatment for individuals who suffer from metabolic syndrome.
9. Prevents and Manages Diabetes
Diabetes and obesity create a negative feedback loop in your body. Insulin resistance causes the body to store sugars as fat. Higher body fat increases your risk of diabetes. Break the cycle by lowering your triglycerides and working to maintain a healthy weight.
In 2010, a study in the The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine proved that hibiscus tea lowered certain types of lipids (including triglycerides). These compounds are linked to diabetes.
10. Keeps Your Digestive Tract Running Smoothly
When you tend to your gut health, the other systems in your body benefit too. One of the best hibiscus tea benefits for weight loss is its ability to encourage healthy bowel movements. This tea can be used to relieve constipation. On top of that, its anti-spasmodic properties also make it a great treatment relieving irritated bowels.
Now that you’re armed with knowledge about hibiscus tea benefits for weight loss, hopefully, you’ll feel motivated to include it in your wellness plan. It’s a natural remedy and scientifically-proven to improve your health.
Have you ever had hibiscus tea? Are you ready to give it a try? Let us know in the comments below!