Few things are as miserable as a sinus infection. Your head feels like it’s being squeezed in a vise, your nose is congested, and your throat feels raw. Antibiotics are the standard course of treatment for a sinus infection. However, there are many home remedies for sinus infection that can relieve your congestion and other symptoms. In fact, most sinus infections clear up without prescriptions of any kind.
The following remedies can help you get relief and recover from a painful sinus infection. Just remember that this is not a definitive list. If you have a serious infection, you should still seek a doctor’s care to avoid potentially serious complications.
#1. Nasal Irrigation
Nasal irrigation is one of the most effective home remedies for sinus infection and congestion. It’s also easy to do. This process involves flushing out your sinuses with a saline solution and a neti pot or bulb syringe.
Create your own saline solution by dissolving 1 teaspoon of sea salt and a pinch of baking soda in 1 pint of filtered or distilled water. Do not use tap water or table salt. Standing over a sink, squirt the saline solution into one nostril while your head is tilted so it can flow out of your other nostril. This process can flush away bacteria that can contribute to an infection.
Just make sure you are using your neti pot as recommended. These products are safe when used properly, but they must be used only with sterile or distilled water and sterilized between uses. Never use tap water as it has low levels of bacteria and amoebas that are safe to ingest but may cause a life-threatening infection in the sinuses.
Bromelain is a natural extract made from pineapple stems with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. This solution has been used by fighters for years to reduce swelling and research backs up that it can be effective at reducing nasal passage swelling. According to one study, bromelain helped people who suffered from chronic rhinosinusitis or sinus inflammation.
Talk to your doctor before taking bromelain. It can interfere with certain medications, including ACE inhibitors and blood thinners. As one of the most popular home remedies for sinus infection, bromelain should be taken as a standard dose of 200 to 800 mg between meals.
#3. Steam Your Sinuses
Steam is an effective way to moisten sinuses and relieve congestion. The easiest way to steam your sinuses clear is taking a hot shower.
The best way to steam your sinuses is filling a sink basin with very hot water. Add a few drops of methol or eucalyptus oil. Lean over the sink and drape a towel over your head to help retain the steam. This will have a more concentrated effect than taking a hot shower.
#4. Alternate Cold and Warm Compresses
One of the best home remedies for sinus infection is also the simplest: switching between warm and cold compresses. Warmth can loosen secretions in the nasal passages. However, alternating between cold and warmth is best for relieving sinus pressure and pain.
Recline somewhere comfortable with a hot damp washcloth across your sinuses for a few minutes. Afterward, replace the washcloth with a cold compress for about a minute. Alternate a few times and repeat up to several times a day.
Capsaicin, the primary component in hot peppers responsible for their heat, has long been used as a remedy for arthritis pain. Research also suggests it can help clear the sinuses and relieve sinititus symptoms.
Capsaicin is one of the most versatile home remedies for sinus infection as it can be added to your diet or used as a spray as needed. It’s believed to work by reducing the body’s pain perception. It also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve sinusitis symptoms and infection.
According to one study, using a capsaicin nasal spray is safe and an effective way to treat non-allergic rhinitis, or nasal inflammation and pain. Taking cayenne pepper capsules during meals may also help clear up a sinus infection.
#6. Avoid Triggers
There are many things that can trigger sinus pain and worsen an infection. For instance, you should avoid over-the-counter nasal decongestant sprays. These can offer relief for a few days but make pressure in your sinuses worse.
You may also notice an increase in pain and pressure with alcohol, diving, and swimming. To reduce exposure to allergens that can worsen symptoms, clean your dehumidifier and wash your bedding.
#7. Use a Humidifier
Increasing the humidity in your room is an effective treatment for sinus infection and congestion. That’s because thick, dry mucus in the sinuses can block drainage and trap bacteria and viruses. Increasing the humidity in your air increases the amount of fluid that enters your body and nasal passages to thin out and clear mucus. Using a humidifier is considered good for sinus health, especially in the winter when the air gets cold and dry.
- BREATHE EASY & STAY HEALTHY - Dry humid air can affect your health, skin, and condition of your home. Dry and itchy skin, irritated eyes, allergies, sore throat are mostly caused by dryness in the air. To breathe more easily and keep your body healthy, the new Pohl + Schmitt Humidifier is the ideal choice. Its stylish design makes it perfect for any bedroom or baby's room and many other rooms. Sleep more peacefully and feel like you are breathing fresh air in your home.
- 1.5 LITER WATER TANK - Compact and powerful! Add more moisture to the air in any room you want. Besides bedrooms and baby's rooms, breathe fresh air in the office, living room or any other medium-sized rooms. Up to 16 hours of continuous operating time with adjustable mist direction as well as high and low speeds.
- COZY NIGHT LIGHT - For maximum relaxation and a restful sleep, this Ultrasonic Humidifier offers a pleasant blue glow and whisper quiet operation during the night time. Improve your sleep cycles and wake up happy, healthy and rested.
- CONVENIENT FEATURES - When the level of water in the water tank is too low, the unit will automatically shut-off. The indicator will let you know every time you need to refill the water tank keeping the air fresh in your home 24/7. With our special design, you can clean your Humidifier daily with ease and convenience.
- SWISS QUALITY - We deeply care for our customers and bring only the best quality products on the market with a 2-year limited warranty. Fast and friendly customer service always available to help you with anything you need. We guarantee you will be satisfied with our new Pohl + Schmitt Humidifier and keep enjoying the new fresh air in your home.
- ULTRASONIC COOL MIST TECHNOLOGY: Safely moisturizes the air for up to 16 hours of continuous operation so you can breathe easy and get more restful sleep | High and low speed settings make it easy to adjust mist direction and speed to fit your comfort level
- 1.5-LITER WATER TANK: Provides ideal coverage for bedrooms, offices, and other medium-sized rooms
- OPTIONAL NIGHT LIGHT: Offers soothing glow for maximum relaxation
- AUTOMATIC SHUT-OFF: Turns humidifier off when water level is low or the water tank is removed
- WHAT YOU GET: Humidifier, AC power adapter, disk cleaning brush, user manual, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted brand with millions of customers worldwide.
- 【WHISPER-QUIET OPERATION with ULTRASONIC TECHNOLOGY】- Ultrasonic humidifier lowers the noise level to 32dB for quiet humidification. So it won’t disturbing your bedtime, working or study – Ideal mist humidifier for bedroom, office, nursery room, and countertop humidification.
- 【EASY USE & REFILL】– A one-hand operation portable air humidifier! With ergonomic arc shaped tank reservoir, the water tank fits your hands perfectly and offers securer grip than other humidifiers, so refilling and carrying is always a breeze of ease. Simply tip the touch button to choose from high low mist. For added convenience, dim blue night light can be separately controlled and bring you comfort to sweet dreams.
- 【AUTOMATIC SHUT-OFF for INCREASED SAFETY】- This cool mist humidifier can run continuously or set 1/3/6H auto-off timer. Set a timer on air humidifier to make efficient use and save electricity. Beisdes, it will shut off with red LED light on when water level is low. No worry when you are in a hurry leaving home.
- 【STAY HYDRATED ALL DAY & NIGHT】 – Let the air humidifier take care of your skin whether at home or office! 0.5 Gallon tank capacity allows up to 30 hours working time in low mist setting. No dry lips, no stuffy nose and dry skin. You will get more restful sleep thorough out the night. Besides, the sleek oval design fits nicely in narrow space and won’t mess up your tabletop. During working time in office, it offers a great companion to keep your skin hydrated and mind fresh at work.
- 【ECONOMICAL and FILTER-FREE】 – The filterless humidifier enables you to save a lot bills in avoid purchasing expensive filters. Besides,we are always behind our product. If you have any problem with your humidifier, we are happy to solve it for you within 24 hours.
There are several types of humidifiers you can use in your home. A central humidifier is built into your AC system for whole-home treatment, or you can use a portable model in your bedroom.
For the best effect, use the humidifier with distilled water only. Don’t allow your indoor humidity to exceed 50%, which can increase mold spores and dust mites in the air. Make sure the humidifier is cleaned regularly to keep mold and bacteria from growing in the water.
Most sinus infections clear up on their own. The American Academy of Otolaryngology also recommends using home remedies for sinus infection as part of a “wait and see” approach. That’s because antibiotics are only effective in about 2% of cases. If your symptoms don’t improve or you develop a fever, it’s a sign you should see a doctor.
What’s your favorite remedy for sinus infection and pressure? Leave a comment and share your thoughts, including techniques that do and do not work for you.