At some point in your life, you’ve probably experienced a headache. In fact, millions of people around the world report that they experience a debilitating or severe headache at least once every 3 months. Headaches can affect your job, personal, and social life, but taking medications isn’t always the best option.
Medicine can have strong side effects in the long-run, but how do you treat pain without it? Below you will find a list of tips and tricks for when you need to know how to get rid of a headache without medicine.
1. Drink Lots of Water
Dehydration is one of the leading causes of headaches, and drinking water is one of the easiest things you can do when you’re wondering how to get rid of a headache without medicine. Dehydration is linked to migraines, tension headaches, irritability, and concentration-impairment. Drinking enough water throughout the day ensures your headaches stay away.
How it works: Drinking water can relieve headaches in dehydrated people within 30 minutes to 3 hours. Also, ensuring you get the proper amount of water each day helps prevent headaches in the future. Adult women should drink around 91-ounces each day and men should drink around 125-ounces.
2. Get Enough Sleep
You’ve probably heard that lack-of-sleep can be harmful to your health in more ways than one. But did you know that not getting the proper amount of sleep can increase the frequency and severity of headaches? Studies have shown that if you don’t get enough sleep or are not taking rests, headaches can return more often.
How it works: Getting enough sleep can be hard, but most adults should receive between 7-9 hours of sleep each night. If you’re wondering how to get rid of a headache without medicine, try going to bed early or taking a nap to alleviate pain.
3. Use Essential Oils
Essential oils have been used for centuries for their nutritional and medicinal properties. These oils are highly-concentrated liquids that can come from a variety of plants, with therapeutic benefits. They can be used for pain relief, relaxation, skin irritations, and more. Essential oils are among the most commonly-used methods for people wanting to know how to get rid of a headache without medicine.
- This gift set includes six 10mL bottles of aromatherapy essential oils: lemongrass, peppermint, orange, lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree. Achieve greater mind acuity & promote & and happiness with this set.Easy to mix and match for blending or dilution purposes.
- Set features lemongrass for calmness & clarity, peppermint for concentration & clear thinking, orange for optimism & peace, lavender for cognitive functions & alertness, eucalyptus for optimism & concentration, & tea tree for mental strength & calmness
- Essential oils are used for aromatherapy, Ayurveda, steam inhalations, skin care, massage, natural perfumery, baths, hair care, saunas, air freshening, compresses, vaporization, chakra balancing, or to enhance shampoos, lotions, creams, soaps & bath bombs
- To protect your rights and avoid unauthorized merchants,please do not purchase outside Lagunamoon Beauty store.Our essential oils are suitable for diffusion, vaporizing, inhalation, cleaning, massage, oil burner, perfume, home care (bedroom, living room, bathroom, study room), office (workstation, conference room), outdoors, campground, yoga room, car and spa.
- Come with gift box and essential oil guide, outside with well transparent protective seal wrapping. A perfect gift set for any accassion.Try Lagunamoon if you've enjoyed products by other brands.
- SET INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING SCENTS – Lavender, Frankincense, Eucalyptus,Breathe Blend, Cedarwood, Sweet Orange, Rosemary, Good Sleep Blend, Tea Tree, Stress Relief Blends, Lemon, Peppermint, Robbers, and Muscle Relief Blend
- HUGE 14 BOTTLE SET – In Beautiful High Quality 5ml Colored Glass Bottles
- DON’T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED ROBBERS OIL – Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil or Even Other Potentially Dangerous Chemicals. Our Robbers Oil is Routinely Tested for Purity And Other Unique Qualities in Order to Ensure You Are Buying The Purest Oil Available.
- PERFECT ESSENTIAL OIL STARTER SET – All of our most popular scents and blends, this Aromatherapy set is the Perfect Starter Set or Makes an Amazing Gift!
- LIFETIME WARRANTY AND GUARANTEE – The manufacturer, Artizen Essential Oils, offers a lifetime warranty and guarantee on their product. If you are ever unsatisfied for any reason they will replace your product or refund your money. And they stand behind and guarantee the purity of their oils.
How it works: Not all essential oils are created equal and some are better-designed to relieve headaches than others. Lavender and peppermint for example contain properties that can reduce tension headaches, migraines, and mild discomfort. You can use these oils by applying them directly to your temples or inhaled through a diffuser.
4. Apply Heat/Cold
Heat and cold have been used almost since the beginning of time as a way to treat pain. Cold can decrease inflammation, constrict blood vessels, and slow nerve conduction. Heat on the other hand, expands blood vessels, improves circulation, and alleviates pain. Using hot or cold temperatures is an excellent and inexpensive way to alleviate any kind of headache.
How it works: You can use cold to alleviate a migraine or pulsating headache. You can make a cold compress or use an ice pack for 5-10 minutes at a time, applied directly to your temples or back of the neck. You can use heat to alleviate tightness or tension headaches. Try using a heating pad, warm washcloth, or relax in a hot bath.
5. Eat Something
One of the first things you should consider when you’re wondering how to get rid of a headache without medicine is your diet. Headaches are common when blood sugar drops, after you haven’t eaten in a while. This is because your brain requires the most energy to function. Headaches can also be caused by someone’s specific reaction to certain foods.
How it works: Be sure to eat a well-balanced diet, which includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner to help avoid getting headaches. If you begin to feel a headache, when was the last time you ate something? Try eating a light, healthy snack with a glass of water.
6. Put on Sunglasses
Too much light from a computer screen or the sun can cause headaches and increase pain of already-existing headaches. If you have experienced migraines, you have probably noticed that you are ultra-sensitive to light. That is because your brain’s receptors are essentially “on the fritz” during a headache, which heightens responses to certain senses.
- BRAND - WearMe Pro is a family-owned eyewear brand founded in the United States. WearMe Pro is passionate about providing affordable eyewear but also about helping local charities. Thanks to the ongoing support of our customers, each year we donate thousands of glasses to children in need.
- 100% UV400 PROTECTION - WearMe Pro's sunglasses come equipped with HD lenses that can filter out sunlight glare. WearMe Pro lenses protect your eyes from long term damage by blocking harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- MATERIALS - Sturdy metal frame, colorful mirrored and black lenses, solid metal hinges, exquisite temples, all these details ensure long lasting wear and comfort!
- PRODUCT DIMENSIONS - Lens Width: 50mm Lens height: 47mm Temple Length: 148mm Nose Bridge: 23mm
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED -Our #1 priority here at WearMe Pro is your happiness! Which means we stand by our product 100%! We are always here to resolve any issues you may have with our product, simply reach out to our support team for a prompt resolution to your concerns.
- Polarized sunglasses - 100% Protection Against Harmful UVA/UVB & UVC Rays
- Fashion Metal Frame - Lightweight and Strong rectangular polarized sunglasses
- Lens Height: 42 mm (1.65 inches) | Lens Width: 62 mm (2.42 inches) | Nose Bridge: 16 mm (0.63 inches) | Temple Length: 135 mm (5.31 inches) | Frame Length: 144 mm (5.67 inches)
- Includes: 1*Cleaning cloth, 1*Sunglasses pouch and 1* Mini Screwdriver
- Lifetime Breakage Warranty and Money Back Guarantee
How it works: If you feel a headache coming on, throw on a pair of sunglasses. The tint can filter bright-light and stop a headache right in its tracks. If you have a severe headache or migraine, closing curtains, putting on sunglasses, and turning off lights can help take some pain away.
7. Stretch or Massage
There are a wide variety of stretches you can do, as well as massages that can help release tension, reduce body-stress, and relieve pain when you need to know how to get rid of a headache without medicine. Certain areas of the body create reactions in the body that can release pain-relieving hormones, reduce tension in muscles, and relieve pressure.
How it works: You can try massaging your temples and the area surrounding your eyes to relieve pain. Stretching your neck by slowly leaning your neck to each side and front-to-back can alleviate tension that contributes to headaches. Studies have shown that massaging the feet has a great effect on headaches, as well as receiving neck, shoulder, and back massages.
8. Try Yoga or Relaxation Exercises
Studies have shown that yoga and relaxation exercises can boost relaxation and help balance out your mind, body, and spirit. Creating a less-stressful environment can help you avoid future headaches and get rid of stress-caused headaches in the first place. Learning how to properly relax can also help you sleep better.
How it works: You can easily try yoga from the comfort of your own home or by joining a class. If yoga isn’t your thing, you can try relaxation exercises at home that help calm and focus your breathing, to help contract and relax the muscles in your body. You can try “breathing deeply, relaxing to music, or using mental imagery“.
When it comes to headaches, they can be frustrating, but there is always hope. This list can help you not only prevent headaches, but back to feeling like yourself when you need to know how to get rid of a headache without medicine.