At some point in your life, you’ve probably experienced a headache. In fact, millions of people around the world report that they experience a debilitating or severe headache at least once every 3 months. Headaches can affect your job, personal, and social life, but taking medications isn’t always the best option.
Medicine can have strong side effects in the long-run, but how do you treat pain without it? Below you will find a list of tips and tricks for when you need to know how to get rid of a headache without medicine.
1. Drink Lots of Water
Dehydration is one of the leading causes of headaches, and drinking water is one of the easiest things you can do when you’re wondering how to get rid of a headache without medicine. Dehydration is linked to migraines, tension headaches, irritability, and concentration-impairment. Drinking enough water throughout the day ensures your headaches stay away.
How it works: Drinking water can relieve headaches in dehydrated people within 30 minutes to 3 hours. Also, ensuring you get the proper amount of water each day helps prevent headaches in the future. Adult women should drink around 91-ounces each day and men should drink around 125-ounces.
2. Get Enough Sleep
You’ve probably heard that lack-of-sleep can be harmful to your health in more ways than one. But did you know that not getting the proper amount of sleep can increase the frequency and severity of headaches? Studies have shown that if you don’t get enough sleep or are not taking rests, headaches can return more often.
How it works: Getting enough sleep can be hard, but most adults should receive between 7-9 hours of sleep each night. If you’re wondering how to get rid of a headache without medicine, try going to bed early or taking a nap to alleviate pain.
3. Use Essential Oils
Essential oils have been used for centuries for their nutritional and medicinal properties. These oils are highly-concentrated liquids that can come from a variety of plants, with therapeutic benefits. They can be used for pain relief, relaxation, skin irritations, and more. Essential oils are among the most commonly-used methods for people wanting to know how to get rid of a headache without medicine.
- This gift set includes six 10mL bottles of aromatherapy essential oils: lemongrass, peppermint, orange, lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree. Achieve greater mind acuity & promote & and happiness with this set. Easy to mix and match for blending or dilution purposes
- Set features lemongrass for calmness & clarity, peppermint for concentration & clear thinking, orange for optimism & peace, lavender for cognitive functions & alertness, eucalyptus for optimism & concentration, & tea tree for mental strength & calmness
- Essential oils are used for aromatherapy, Ayurveda, steam inhalations, skin care, massage, natural perfumery, baths, hair care, saunas, air freshening, compresses, vaporization, chakra balancing, or to enhance shampoos, lotions, creams, soaps & bath bombs
- To protect your rights and avoid unauthorized merchants,please do not purchase outside Lagunamoon Beauty store.Our essential oils are suitable for diffusion, vaporizing, inhalation, cleaning, massage, oil burner, perfume, home care (bedroom, living room, bathroom, study room), office (workstation, conference room), outdoors, campground, yoga room, car and spa.
- Come with gift box and essential oil guide,outside with well transparent protective seal wrapping.A perfect gift set for any accassion.Try Lagunamoon if you've enjoyed products by other brands. All oils GC/MS tested with no fillers, FDA and SGS approved. We adhere to the Good Manufacturing Practices for Cosmetics
- 100% PURE - ArtNaturals Essential Oils are 100% Pure, unadulterated, therapeutic grade, and GC/MS tested. Analysis reports are available in the images and on our website. It is vegan and cruelty free.
- CARRIER OIL - Used with a carrier oil for massage, its clean, refreshing scent helps ease the effects of a long, vigorous day. Its renowned healing properties have been known to boost a variety of hair, skin and nail conditions.
- ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSER - When used with an aroma diffuser, ArtNaturals Aromatherapy Oils wafts a rejuvenating, brightening scent through home or office, bringing relaxation, wellness, and satisfaction to your day.
- DIY - ArtNaturals offers a wide variety of DIY essential oil recipes that can be found in our storefront. From home to outdoors, and well being to skincare, we have a recipe that is perfect for you.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - ArtNaturals offers a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. Try it risk free with no questions asked and top customer service. You have nothing to lose and your health to gain.
How it works: Not all essential oils are created equal and some are better-designed to relieve headaches than others. Lavender and peppermint for example contain properties that can reduce tension headaches, migraines, and mild discomfort. You can use these oils by applying them directly to your temples or inhaled through a diffuser.
4. Apply Heat/Cold
Heat and cold have been used almost since the beginning of time as a way to treat pain. Cold can decrease inflammation, constrict blood vessels, and slow nerve conduction. Heat on the other hand, expands blood vessels, improves circulation, and alleviates pain. Using hot or cold temperatures is an excellent and inexpensive way to alleviate any kind of headache.
How it works: You can use cold to alleviate a migraine or pulsating headache. You can make a cold compress or use an ice pack for 5-10 minutes at a time, applied directly to your temples or back of the neck. You can use heat to alleviate tightness or tension headaches. Try using a heating pad, warm washcloth, or relax in a hot bath.
5. Eat Something
One of the first things you should consider when you’re wondering how to get rid of a headache without medicine is your diet. Headaches are common when blood sugar drops, after you haven’t eaten in a while. This is because your brain requires the most energy to function. Headaches can also be caused by someone’s specific reaction to certain foods.
How it works: Be sure to eat a well-balanced diet, which includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner to help avoid getting headaches. If you begin to feel a headache, when was the last time you ate something? Try eating a light, healthy snack with a glass of water.
6. Put on Sunglasses
Too much light from a computer screen or the sun can cause headaches and increase pain of already-existing headaches. If you have experienced migraines, you have probably noticed that you are ultra-sensitive to light. That is because your brain’s receptors are essentially “on the fritz” during a headache, which heightens responses to certain senses.
- 100% UV (UVA & UVB) Protection TAC Polarized AntiGlare Unisex Adult Sunglasses for both Men and Woman. Suitable also for young teenage boys and girls.
- Paintless Reinforced Metal Hinges For Everyday Durability
- Lens width: 52mm/Lens height: 43mm/Bridge: 15mm
- Free Premium Heavy Grade Wool Felt Protective Storage Case Pouch Included
- Available in a wide variety of frame colors and lenses in faded gradient, HD, amber day and night driving and assorted color mirror coatings.
- POLARIZED LENS - Polarized sunglasses reduce glare reflected off of roads, bodies of water, snow, and other horizontal surfaces. Restore true color, eliminate reflected light and scattered light and protect eyes perfectly. Polarized sunglasses cut glare and haze so your eyes are more comfortable and you can see better.
- STYLE-2016 Newest Brand Design,It is Suitable For Any Face, Show Your Unique And High-end Taste.
- Suitable- Houseboat ,Driving, Running, Fishing,Racing, Skiing and Climbing, Trekking and Business Or Other Outdoor Activities Enthusiasts
- Lens Height:45MM(1.77 Inches)--Lens Width:56MM(2.20Inches)--Temple Length--140MM(5.51Inches)--Nose Bridge:16MM(0.63Inches)--Frame Length 142MM(5.59 Inches)
- 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - All MERRY'S customers enjoy 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. Customers can return and get refunded in case the purchasing is not satisfactory for any reason. You have no risk to try and we will provide you the best service!
How it works: If you feel a headache coming on, throw on a pair of sunglasses. The tint can filter bright-light and stop a headache right in its tracks. If you have a severe headache or migraine, closing curtains, putting on sunglasses, and turning off lights can help take some pain away.
7. Stretch or Massage
There are a wide variety of stretches you can do, as well as massages that can help release tension, reduce body-stress, and relieve pain when you need to know how to get rid of a headache without medicine. Certain areas of the body create reactions in the body that can release pain-relieving hormones, reduce tension in muscles, and relieve pressure.
How it works: You can try massaging your temples and the area surrounding your eyes to relieve pain. Stretching your neck by slowly leaning your neck to each side and front-to-back can alleviate tension that contributes to headaches. Studies have shown that massaging the feet has a great effect on headaches, as well as receiving neck, shoulder, and back massages.
8. Try Yoga or Relaxation Exercises
Studies have shown that yoga and relaxation exercises can boost relaxation and help balance out your mind, body, and spirit. Creating a less-stressful environment can help you avoid future headaches and get rid of stress-caused headaches in the first place. Learning how to properly relax can also help you sleep better.
How it works: You can easily try yoga from the comfort of your own home or by joining a class. If yoga isn’t your thing, you can try relaxation exercises at home that help calm and focus your breathing, to help contract and relax the muscles in your body. You can try “breathing deeply, relaxing to music, or using mental imagery“.
When it comes to headaches, they can be frustrating, but there is always hope. This list can help you not only prevent headaches, but back to feeling like yourself when you need to know how to get rid of a headache without medicine.