Molybdenum is a significant mineral in the body. The system needs it for the functioning of various enzyme-dependent processes, like metabolism of iron. While this trace mineral is available in capsule and liquid form, food is its primary natural source. Molybdenum functions as a vital co-factor of enzymes and is the catalyst of the subdivision and disintegration of fats and carbohydrates.
- An essential trace mineral
- Used in the body to produce enzymes used in alcohol and sulfite detoxification.
- Chelated tablets
- Helps maintain better sense of well-being
- Contains no dairy, soy, wheat, gluten, egg, shellfish, tree nuts and is Non-GMO
This essential mineral is present in legumes, grains, nuts, and dark leafy vegetables. Being an important component, its absence may increase one’s risk of numerous health problems. Several studies have been conducted over the past 20 years on the importance of molybdenum. This article outlines some of the most important molybdenum health benefits.
11 Most Important Health Benefits of Molybdenum
1. Powerful Cofactor for Multiple Enzymes
Molybdenum works alongside various enzymes that contribute to sulfur, nitrogen, and carbon cycles in the body. Enzymes like aldehyde oxidase, SUOX, and xanthine oxidase all rely on molybdenum. Enzymatic problems cause genetic metabolic disorders. Molybdenum health benefits involve treatment of these disorders.
2. Fights Autoimmune Inflammatory Diseases
Molybdenum contains tetrathiomolybdate which helps to lower the body content of copper. This makes this trace mineral crucial for eliminating the conditions of autoimmune, inflammatory, and fibrotic diseases. A study carried out in May 2006 found that tetrathiomolybdate prevents liver and pulmonary fibrosis as well as inhibit liver damage.
3. Body Detox
Molybdenum health benefits also involve activation of aldehyde oxidase, which is released as a by-product of alcohol, yeast, and fungi metabolism. Acetaldehyde can cause cancer as it is poisonous. Studies also show that it can stress the kidneys and liver and lead to a Vitamin B deficiency. Acetaldehyde levels are more in people who consume a lot of alcohol and those who suffer from yeast infections. Consuming foods rich in molybdenum reduces toxic and bacterial responses.
4. Cell Protection
Molybdenum has antioxidants which aid in cell protection and prevent cell accumulation for cancer, chronic conditions, and even aging. The body contains free radicals which diminish cell function. In its turn, such a corrosion destroys cells. The presence of too many free radicals can cause cancer. Molybdenum neutralizes the free radicals responsible for destroying the normal body cells.
5. Provides Asthma Relief
Molybdenum acts as a catalyst for sulfite oxidase. This is an enzyme that breaks down sulfite buildup in the body by converting sulfites into harmless sulfates. Certain foods are preserved using sulfites to prevent discoloration.
Individuals with sulfite sensitivity can suffer from an asthma attack or experience asthma symptoms after consuming these foods. Also, sulfites may trigger allergy-related symptoms like respiratory problems, hives, fainting, and itches.
6. Supports the Immune System and Prevents Anemia
Hemoglobin is the red blood cell component. This is an iron-rich protein that renders its red color. Its main responsibility is to transport oxygen in every part of the body. Anemia is the condition brought about by little or no oxygen in the body. Incorrect dosages of hemoglobin in blood are what causes anemia.
- DETOXIFICATION: Molybdenum is an essential trace element cofactor of various enzymes involved in the body's natural detoxification processes.*
- SUPPORTS AMINO ACID METABOLISM: Molybdenum is also involved in sulfur metabolism as a cofactor of sulfite oxidase. This reaction is necessary for the normal metabolism of sulfur amino acids.*
- VITAMINS/MINERALS/AMINO ACIDS: Dietary supplement formulated to provide valuable support in filling important nutrient gaps in adults.*
- DOUGLAS LABORATORIES researches, develops and manufactures the right suite of rigorously designed, science-based, healthy aging supplements. With a 60-year heritage of innovating and designing nutritional products, we push the potential of active individuals to continually perform at their personal best. | *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Hemoglobin assists the cells in distributing inhaled oxygen in the lungs ensuring it reaches various body parts. Individuals with anemia typically experience headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, and weakness. Molybdenum actively mobilizes iron inside the body by interacting with riboflavin or vitamin B2 combining hemoglobin and iron. This leads to the development of red blood cells.
7. Protects against Cancer
Cells are vital in the growth of the body. The body produces new cells when needed. However, it happens that sometimes the body produces cells when it is not needed. This process triggers cancer. Moreover, the old damaged cells live longer than they are supposed to.
Molybdenum health benefits prevent the growth of nitrosamines which are agents that cause cancer. Low molybdenum levels put women at risk of developing rectal and esophageal cancer.
8. Dental Health
A deficiency of molybdenum has been linked to tooth decay and cavities. Studies conducted show that a high intake of molybdenum leads to a reduced cavity rate. Furthermore, this essential trace element has been shown to increase the effects of fluoride on the teeth as the combination contributes to dental health.
Intake of molybdenum also reduces cavities compared to using fluoride alone. A study conducted on cow teeth showed that enamel treated with molybdenum supplemented fluoride led to healing of cavities as a result of the increased mineral repair.
9. Improves Blood Circulation
Molybdenum works as an important component of nitrate reductase, an enzyme that breaks down nitrate. This is vital for the production of nitric oxide. Nitrate is converted to nitrogen dioxide, a precursor to nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is what regulates cell growth, protects blood vessels from injury, and dilates blood vessels. Molybdenum health benefits lead to increased circulation.
- TRACE MINERAL AND MORE: Molybdenum is not only a trace mineral, it is also a cofactor for enzyme that are a part of antioxidant health, amino acid metabolism and most importantly Molybdenum is a cofactor for enzymes that are a part of an individuals' overall well-being
- FORMULATION: This formulation from Solgar provides a chelated for of Molybdenum
- KOSHER, GLUTEN FREE & SUITABLE FOR VEGANS: These tablets are KOF-K Kosher certified, suitable for vegans and are certified gluten free. They are free of: gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, yeast, sugar, and sodium. They are also free of artificial flavors, sweeteners, preservatives and colors
10. Balances Uric Acid Levels
A deficiency of molybdenum impairs the production of xanthine oxidase, which leads to low levels of uric acid both in urine and blood. Reduced uric acid levels could lead to disorders like Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s disease, and Multiple sclerosis. Uric acid scavenges reactive oxygen species as it acts as a potent antioxidant.
11. Alleviates Metabolic Diseases
Molybdenum is an important component of the process of metabolism as it acts as a channel that promotes chain reactions. This leads to the production of energy. The trace element also contributes to oxygen transfer due to these reactions.
Our bodies contain sulfide oxidase, an enzyme that activates the conversion of sulfite compound to sulfate. The chemical and metallic characteristics of molybdenum perform a significant metabolic role in the body.
- PROVIDES 500 MCG of molybdenum as TRAACS molybdenum glycinate chelate
- SUPPORTS SULFUR METABOLISM which can support a healthy intestinal environment*
- MINERAL SUPPLEMENT may support healthy waste processing and enzymatic reactions to help breakdown of food*
- SUPPORTS NORMAL FUNCTION of the nervous system in adults*
- FREE OF MAJOR ALLERGENS making it a great choice for those with food/vitamin sensitivities
These are some of the molybdenum health benefits. Molybdenum is an essential trace element found in grains, organic meats, legumes, and dark leafy vegetables. Cases, where people get too little or too much are rare, but both situations have been linked to adverse effects.
Eating a healthy diet with different food groups ensures that you get the right quantity of molybdenum and deficiency is no longer a concern. Did you find this article helpful? Be sure to let us know in the comments section.