Have you noticed there is no generic Premarin? You probably never gave it any thought, most likely, until now. Knowing why there is no generic Premarin is revealing and says much about what had been the most commonly prescribed female hormone and the mainstay of hormone therapy.
For years Premarin has been used to treat menopausal symptoms like hot flashes and night sweats. Today, bioidentical estrogen therapy and progesterone therapy have slowly been replacing the use of Premarin, but Premarin remains commonly prescribed.
Once a drug goes off patent pharmaceutical companies can make generic versions of the patented name brand drug, but they have to show that their generic version is exactly identical to the brand name, in this case, Premarin. And, that’s where the problem is and the reason there is no generic Premarin.
- Karen J. Carlson, Stephanie A. Eisenstat, Terra Ziporyn
- Publisher: Harvard University Press
- Paperback: 736 pages
Premarin: Natural for Horses but not Women
Now Premarin which first became available in 1942 has been off patent for years, so it is legally permissible for a drug company to make generic Premarin if they can show it to be identical to Premarin. And, that’s where the problem is. Premarin is actually a group of conjugated estrogens – so it’s really more than one hormone or drug. The two main estrogens in Premarin are estrone and equilin. To see a more complete listing of estrogens in Premarin click here and scroll about half way down on this FDA document.
- Mache Seibel
- Publisher: Rodale Books
- Paperback: 256 pages
The first step in making a drug identical to the name brand is to know what’s in the brand name. Guess what? It is not entirely clear what the exact makeup of Premarin is. Notice these words from the above referenced FDA document, “At least ten estrogenic compounds have been identified and quantified in Premarin”. This suggests there are more estrogens not yet identified. If not all the compounds in Premarin have been identified then it is not possible for a pharmaceutical company that makes generic medications to prove that their generic compound is exactly the same as a the brand name Premarin tablets.
- COMPLETE ESTROGEN SOLUTION- Pharmaceutical grade estrogen cream with Estradiol and Estriol can bring hot flashes quickly under control!
- ULTIMATE Women's Health Product- Estrogen to support healthy breasts, help manage thyroid and weight loss, and promote healthy, beautiful skin! With MSM, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Aloe Vera and Lecithin, this is a beauty cream as well as Estrogen cream!
- ALL NATURAL Bioidentical Estrogen- Balance your body naturally, safely, and effectively from the comfort of your home! Manufactured in an FDA Inspected and Kosher inspected facility and made in small batches just for you. We at BIOLabs PRO pride ourselves in giving you the safest most-effective products available.
- GREAT VALUE- With only one pump per day and a two month plus supply, you are paying less than .50 per day to support the greatest asset you have... your health and well being.
- 365 DAY EMPTY BOTTLE RETURN POLICY. If the product is too strong or you do not like it for any reason, you can return it at anytime. We stand by our 60 day results guarantee and expect that you will look and feel like your younger self within seven days or less, just like many of our existing customers. Try it now and know you can always get your money back no questions asked if you do not like it for any reason.
Keep in mind Premarin is the hormone that is most often used in studies accessing the safety and efficacy of hormone replacement therapy. in female patients. This is also the hormone that most women and physicians base their decision on to whether or not to receive or prescribe hormone replacement therapy – and it’s not entirely clear what is in Premarin. Premarin is frequently prescribed along with Provera, a synthetic progestin. Prempro is a combination tablet that contains both Premarin and Provera. Like Premarin, Provera is not a bioidentical hormone.
- The Happy Hoo Hoo Vaginal Suppositories help restore dry vaginal tissues to their healthy, youthful state, helping to relieve painful internal and external dryness, irritation, and painful intercourse. Special Offer: Order 2 or more Young Hormones brand items and get 10% off all items!
- NOTICE: THIS CURRENT VERSION OF HAPPY HOO HOO WILL BE DISCONTINUED AND NO LONGER FOR SALE AS OF MEMORIAL DAY 05/27/2019. WE'RE MAKING IT EVEN BETTER! TWO NEWER VERSIONS WILL BE RELEASED IN A COUPLE WEEKS.
- We provide 16 intravaginal suppositories in each pack! That's enough for a whole month of initial treatment, and will last up to two or three months thereafter! SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE DETAILS.
- "When it comes to products you put on or in your body, the quality of the ingredients isn't just important, it's everything!"
And That’s Why There is No Generic Premarin
Since it is not possible (at least at this time) for a drug manufacturer to show that its generic version of Premarin is exactly identical there is currently no generic Premarin on the market. That’s probably a blessing in disguise, though. Premarin contains equine or horse estrogens that humans do not make, and some of those equine hormones are carcinogenic in humans. Though effective in treating symptoms of menopause as are bioidentical estrogen, Premarin is associated with side effects that are less likely to be expected from bioidentical hormones.
- Smoky Mountain Naturals
- Health and Beauty
And, now you know the rest of the story. Now you know why there is no generic Premarin.
See related articles.